ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

modem lag. (problem solved)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Curt:
Well, one thing my imagination is circling around is, if the setup maybe always is first looking for a wireless connection or something - the same modem can be used for WiFi - before deciding for the fixed connection? I have no idea.-Curt (October 14, 2011, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Turns out I almost was right:

"on by default", so I pushed the button Off, and it made a little difference.
But some lag is still there, enough to be disappointing.

Stoic Joker:
Everything about this sounds like a DNS issue (as several have suggested). Simplest confirmation is to ping a domain by name. When you hit enter you should see a long pause (assumint the theory is correct) before the first packet goes to the resolved IP address, and the ping times to the IP should all be fairly short and fast). That long pause it the DNS resoultion dragging it feet.

Then you just have to focus on finding a DNS server that will answer at a reasonable rate.

If you run nslookup in interactive mode (start with no options), then type set type=NS at its prompt. It can be used to find the name servers for any network/domain you type in after (only type domain.tld - no www's). Try a few other local ISP domains and you should be able to find one that isn't running like it's half dead.

Curt:
I actually performed the "8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4"-trick last night, but have not seen any improvement worth mentioning. Maybe a second off the time, nothing more than that. But I will try the ping test, thank you.

Curt:
I ran a google query for "test ping time" and received quite many answers. I tried the first ten "ping testers". Not one of them could handle my machine's delay / lag, but long before my setup could respond, they reported that some error had happened.

rgdot:
If Google's DNS doesn't make a noticeable difference you probably need to investigate the modem, built-in firewall, bad firmware and the like

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version