topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: modem lag. (problem solved)  (Read 11046 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
modem lag. (problem solved)
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:43 PM »
The problem is the same no matter what Internet browser or program I am using, and no matter if I close all security related programs: The very searching for / and opening of each homepage is extremely slow.

The problem is not my download speed; it is 25mbps.

Yesterday I installed a new modem for my fixed connection, because the old one had a theoretic topspeed of 25mbps, and I wanted to upgrade. Now I don't dare to upgrade, because this new Netgear CG 3000 modem is somehow just sooo slow: 20 seconds is the fastest it has been able to find and load a page. A small text page! Most pages will take 30 seconds, buy many pages are taking 40-60 seconds to load! (Edited: I said it wrong: it is not "to load", but "TO FIND, and load"). This is 15-30 seconds slower than it used to be. I might as well use a smartphone...

I am not even able to play my DRM protected music files, because Windows Media Player's browser will time out before the server can renew my license. Edited: No, it doesn't "time out", but "cannot find the page".

The support  people have of course told me that the error must be on my side, not in their precious modem. Hmm... what else can you expect from such people. They even 'forced' me to delete all my cookies! - of course to no avail. I have, also of course, searched for any kind of error that I could think of, but have not found any. And their equipment claims that my connection is flawless. I feel certain the error is inside this new super fast slow modem, but I have no way to prove it to them; they won't listen, because of the 25 mbps download speed. Maybe they are more inclined to listen  after  the weekend... but I am impatient and this is before the weekend.

Have you any idea what may be wrong, or what to do?  :tellme:

Well, one thing my imagination is circling around is, if the setup maybe always is first looking for a wireless connection or something - the same modem can be used for WiFi - before deciding for the fixed connection? I have no idea.

The setup arranged for a new IP address.
No proxy.
What else may you need to know?

------------
An example: Having written this post, I clicked "Preview", and had to wait 10 seconds for Firefox to load these few words!
Another example: It took Firefox 37 seconds to refresh this page (with this first post only)!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:34 PM by Curt »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: modem lag. Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Likely there are DNS issues. What type of Modem/connection do you have (I assume ADSL)?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:28 PM »
No, theoretically this is a LAN connected via a fixed (hybrid) antenna cable. Very front-end when it was launched 6½ years ago. (Nobody knows anything about it today...) But, yes - DNS issues are likely. I have just not found any reading that I could I understand how to profit from.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Provider's DNS issues? try using google servers if possible.
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers or

---

No issues about modem firmware when you search online?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:05 PM »
-thanks for the link. I sure would wish they offered a link to the previous version (for Vista); everything on an English Win 7 seems to be named or placed different from my Danish Vista... I am not sure I can use it. Maybe tomorrow when I have had some sleep; right now it is night around here.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:01 AM »
Well, one thing my imagination is circling around is, if the setup maybe always is first looking for a wireless connection or something - the same modem can be used for WiFi - before deciding for the fixed connection? I have no idea.

Turns out I almost was right:

2011-10-15_115443.gif

"on by default", so I pushed the button Off, and it made a little difference.
But some lag is still there, enough to be disappointing.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Everything about this sounds like a DNS issue (as several have suggested). Simplest confirmation is to ping a domain by name. When you hit enter you should see a long pause (assumint the theory is correct) before the first packet goes to the resolved IP address, and the ping times to the IP should all be fairly short and fast). That long pause it the DNS resoultion dragging it feet.

Then you just have to focus on finding a DNS server that will answer at a reasonable rate.

If you run nslookup in interactive mode (start with no options), then type set type=NS at its prompt. It can be used to find the name servers for any network/domain you type in after (only type domain.tld - no www's). Try a few other local ISP domains and you should be able to find one that isn't running like it's half dead.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25 AM »
I actually performed the "8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4"-trick last night, but have not seen any improvement worth mentioning. Maybe a second off the time, nothing more than that. But I will try the ping test, thank you.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41 AM »
I ran a google query for "test ping time" and received quite many answers. I tried the first ten "ping testers". Not one of them could handle my machine's delay / lag, but long before my setup could respond, they reported that some error had happened.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 11:45 AM »
If Google's DNS doesn't make a noticeable difference you probably need to investigate the modem, built-in firewall, bad firmware and the like

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 12:54 PM »
I ran a google query for "test ping time" and received quite many answers.

Um... No. There are only two ways to do a ping test. From the local machine's Command Prompt, and the wrong way. Nobody cares of internet server A can successfully ping internet server B, that doesn't help you. You need to know who is dropping the ball on your specific leg of the internet, and to do that you have to be point A for all tests. Otherwise you're actually just wasting time testing somebody else's connection.

So at a command prompt... do ping domain. Then do a ping to said domain's IP and you should have substantially less lag for the first packets send if name resolution is the issue.

Just because server X is supposed to be really fast, doesn't guarantee that it will be real fast in your area. So the trick is to separate the various networking services so you can see which one is misbehaving.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 12:57 PM »
- I pinged my own IP address

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 01:13 PM »
- I pinged my own IP address

That makes you point B from an external point A. Which invalidates the DNS lag test because your machine (which is the one in question) never does a lookup ... And therefore doesn't/can't lag during it. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 01:32 PM »
- never mind. DNS was not the problem anyway.

you probably need to investigate the modem, built-in firewall,

I didn't read enough of the manual the first time, so I didn't realize a firewall was integrated. Now I have changed the settings, and voila! Problem solved!

Thanks to all of you, and an extra Thank You, rgdot  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: modem lag. (problem solved)
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Love to see these threads where people help each other -- way to go rgdot :up:
(Modem integrated firewall? Never even heard of that!)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 07:28 PM »
:) Glad I could help

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 09:09 AM »
(Modem integrated firewall? Never even heard of that!)

Oh yes, it's a rather common/popular trend that started a few years ago. ISP's are trying to pick devices that will protect people from themselves, or at least stem the flow of crap that spews out of infested machines. Problem is that most of these devices are underpowered and haven't a chance of keeping up with the cycle time required by the SPI filters so they frequently bottleneck and choke themselves to death.

I suspect that many of the bad router reviews at places like NewEgg are driven by this particularly annoying design trend.