ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

modem lag. (problem solved)

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
The problem is the same no matter what Internet browser or program I am using, and no matter if I close all security related programs: The very searching for / and opening of each homepage is extremely slow.

The problem is not my download speed; it is 25mbps.

Yesterday I installed a new modem for my fixed connection, because the old one had a theoretic topspeed of 25mbps, and I wanted to upgrade. Now I don't dare to upgrade, because this new Netgear CG 3000 modem is somehow just sooo slow: 20 seconds is the fastest it has been able to find and load a page. A small text page! Most pages will take 30 seconds, buy many pages are taking 40-60 seconds to load! (Edited: I said it wrong: it is not "to load", but "TO FIND, and load"). This is 15-30 seconds slower than it used to be. I might as well use a smartphone...

I am not even able to play my DRM protected music files, because Windows Media Player's browser will time out before the server can renew my license. Edited: No, it doesn't "time out", but "cannot find the page".

The support  people have of course told me that the error must be on my side, not in their precious modem. Hmm... what else can you expect from such people. They even 'forced' me to delete all my cookies! - of course to no avail. I have, also of course, searched for any kind of error that I could think of, but have not found any. And their equipment claims that my connection is flawless. I feel certain the error is inside this new super fast slow modem, but I have no way to prove it to them; they won't listen, because of the 25 mbps download speed. Maybe they are more inclined to listen  after  the weekend... but I am impatient and this is before the weekend.

Have you any idea what may be wrong, or what to do?  :tellme:

Well, one thing my imagination is circling around is, if the setup maybe always is first looking for a wireless connection or something - the same modem can be used for WiFi - before deciding for the fixed connection? I have no idea.

The setup arranged for a new IP address.
No proxy.
What else may you need to know?

------------
An example: Having written this post, I clicked "Preview", and had to wait 10 seconds for Firefox to load these few words!
Another example: It took Firefox 37 seconds to refresh this page (with this first post only)!

Shades:
Likely there are DNS issues. What type of Modem/connection do you have (I assume ADSL)?

Curt:
No, theoretically this is a LAN connected via a fixed (hybrid) antenna cable. Very front-end when it was launched 6½ years ago. (Nobody knows anything about it today...) But, yes - DNS issues are likely. I have just not found any reading that I could I understand how to profit from.

rgdot:
Provider's DNS issues? try using google servers if possible.
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers or
--- End quote ---

---

No issues about modem firmware when you search online?

Curt:
-thanks for the link. I sure would wish they offered a link to the previous version (for Vista); everything on an English Win 7 seems to be named or placed different from my Danish Vista... I am not sure I can use it. Maybe tomorrow when I have had some sleep; right now it is night around here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version