ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Dennis Ritchie dead

(1/4) > >>

Jibz:
I didn't see a post about this yet, but apparently Dennis Ritchiew, co-inventor of the C programming language, and co-developer of Unix is dead :(.

https://plus.google.com/u/2/101960720994009339267/posts/ENuEDDYfvKP?hl=en

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/12/dennis-ritchie-1941-2011-computer-scientist-unix-co-creator-c-co-inventor.html

mouser:
Rest in peace.  If there is a heaven it's probably coded in C so i think he'll do fine.

xtabber:
Dennis Ritchie, who gave the world the C programming language and was one of the main developers of the UNIX operating system, has passed away.

I had been programming in FORTRAN and various flavors of assembly language for a decade before C burst on the scene in the late 1970's, and it was a revolution. For the first time, here was a programming language that combined the benefits of high level languages (rapid development, portability, etc.) with the granular control of assembly language.

According to industry surveys, C is currently the second most widely used programming language in the world and may, once again, take the number one spot as Java use declines. C is unquestionably the most important computer language ever developed -- nearly every language since then is based on, or incorporates elements of C.

The success of C can be attributed to Ritchie's elegant design, as further refined in collaboration with Brian Kernighan. Their 1978 book "The C Programming Language,"  as revised a decade later to incorporate the ANSI standardization, remains today one of the best introductions to programming ever written.

mahesh2k:
RIP. Dennis.

If there is a heaven it's probably coded in C so i think he'll do fine.
--- End quote ---
;D

mouser:
Like many others, when I came across the C programming language book by Kernighan and Ritchie sometime in the mid 80s, I was instantly taken by the language.

What a book, what a language, what an age.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version