ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wow: Google insider explains why Big G may lose the Internet wars

<< < (5/5)

rgdot:
It really depends what the definitions and expectations are, if Google higher ups are sitting there with corporate 'projections' matching facebook numbers then we can all safely say Google+ does need a eulogy. If they are willing to ride it out and keep growing naturally there is zero chance Google+ is going anywhere.
There are entire marketing campaigns where companies are not even mentioning company.com they are only promoting facebook.com/company - and bringing in Likes all over. It's very difficult to break that, this is not a case of people leaving Myspace for facebook anymore. facebook has a much bigger hold across many demographics, entities, groups, etc.

zridling:
The only thing G+ needs in my opinion is a way to save articles to read for later, a la Read it Later or InstaPaper; though I can click through on the ones that are link sharing, sometimes there's something directly on G+ that I want to read later.-wraith808 (October 19, 2011, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Create a circle, name it .Save (".Read Later," ".Keep These," or whatever) with a period at the beginning so that it will show up first. Copy yourself to that circle. Then simply 'share' those posts you want to revisit later. (Although it'd be nice if there were a button for this. I think there's an extension, but I didn't try it.)

wraith808:
Create a circle, name it .Save (".Read Later," ".Keep These," or whatever) with a period at the beginning so that it will show up first. Copy yourself to that circle. Then simply 'share' those posts you want to revisit later. (Although it'd be nice if there were a button for this. I think there's an extension, but I didn't try it.)
-zridling (October 19, 2011, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice.  Thanks!

UPDATE: so after you posted this, I looked into a couple of ways to integrate G+ with other services using the e-mail function.

Evernote: I created an evernote circle, and added the e-mail address associated with adding notes via e-mail (see evernote settings) to the circle.  Works perfectly!

Read It Later: RIL actually has an e-mail function- send the e-mail to [email protected].  But you have to verify the e-mail address that notes will be coming from, and since G+ alerts are sent from a no-reply e-mail (unique to your profile, but still...) there's no way to verify it.  I posted a support ticket on it to see if there's a way around that.

JavaJones:
G+ is frankly still in early stages I'd say. Where is the Events system (integrated with Google Calendar)? Where are company pages? As soon as these and a few other major features of FB make it onto G+, there will be another big surge. Surprisingly, FB's event system still pretty much sucks (can I have it email me a reminder of events? no. is there a simple calendar view of events I'm invited to? no. etc.). Google can leverage the power of existing GCalendar for this, just as an example. For businesses, Google already has "Places", integrate that with G+ and you have a powerful platform for companies to relate to their customers.  I'm honestly surprised Hangouts haven't gotten more attention actually, especially as it gains features. It's more powerful as a business tool than a personal tool now actually. They should introduce shared photo album viewing like the new Flickr feature and then promote Hangouts as a killer feature (because it is). Now I'm not saying Google will do all this, but they're sensible steps with powerful potential.

Basically I think it's foolish to compare G+ now to FB now (yes, even though they are theoretically competing in the same market already). All it takes is one or two "must have" new features and a few more related population explosions to gain critical mass. Many people use FB primarily for photo sharing and event organizing. Right now G+ only has 1 of those functions. Introduce the other and it makes a big difference, people no longer have to split their attention. This is especially true since G+, unlike FB, can optionally share with people by email address only, so it can be an excellent event organizer even if your friends aren't on it.

So bring on the new features Google! Let's hope you have a better "platform vision" than Mr. Yegge fears.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version