ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wow: Google insider explains why Big G may lose the Internet wars

<< < (4/5) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Maybe Google doesn't have to be that innovative. Maybe all that you need is "everything that the other service has +1" is enough. Maybe innovation can be bought. Microsoft products are certainly very well-stuffed cornicopias and seem to satisfy users who use only a quarter of what's available. Linux programs may only do one thing each, but people seem to keep adding to what's available. How many people here have G+ accounts? If the service give people a bigger sandbox to do what they want to do and fix mistakes in while having the potential to attract all their friends and audience, people will flock to it. Is there anything that G+ lacks that the common blogger and forum user wants?  I don't think so. G+ is the newest toy on the market, it should attract new users just because of that. Google has said they will shut down Buzz, if G+ works out and gets enough audience, they may move the Blogger people over to there. What does Blogger offer that G+ doesn't?(I presume that Blogger is a cloud service, not on the operator's own hardware and that it is a Google product) I believe they have said that the Lab was shut down so that they could concentrate on making what they were already doing successes, if that happens they should restart the Lab. They seem to be quite friendly to innovation, I can see no reason why they wouldn't do that.

Tuxman:
G+ is not a replacement for your own blog. Sure, you can easily reach a lot of people there immediately, but you will also most likely drain out in the noise of all these "bloggers".

40hz:
War chest > secretly setup operational infrastructure in cheaper place > transfer operations > inform staff in expensive place that they no longer have jobs > laugh all the way to bank.

I believe we've see that one before once or twice. Where is America's textile industry?
-Renegade (October 13, 2011, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, we have seen and continue to see that done.

But Amazon needs to physically move product. Relocating overseas would move those big hulking warehouses out of a relatively secure and law-abiding country and away from all those nice highways airports their delivery partners use. Then there's having to deal with customs and entry inspections... That can get pesky. Especially if the governmeny of the country you're shipping to is seriously pissed at you for something like...dunno...moving away and taking jobs and money with you?

So relocating isn't really a viable option. Especially since it also moves them away from their customers.

I think you'd be more likely to see Amazon open a facility in Antarctica before you'd see them physically exit the USA.

Of course, if China were to really take off, that's not to say they couldn't abandon the US market after everybody got laid off because there was no work (and therefor had no money to spend)  and relocate to Asia.

8)

Arizona Hot:
I found these articles on the subject. What opinions do you people have on them:

But today I click on my newsfeed and see tumbleweed blowing through the barren, blank page. It’s a vast and empty wasteland, full of people who signed up but never actually stuck around to figure out how things worked in this new part of town. One simple click takes me back to Facebook, and my wall is flooded with updates and pictures from 400+ friends. This just isn’t a contest, and it never will be. 
--- End quote ---

A Eulogy for Google Plus

Chiming in with a different social network

wraith808:
But today I click on my newsfeed and see tumbleweed blowing through the barren, blank page. It’s a vast and empty wasteland, full of people who signed up but never actually stuck around to figure out how things worked in this new part of town. One simple click takes me back to Facebook, and my wall is flooded with updates and pictures from 400+ friends. This just isn’t a contest, and it never will be.  
--- End quote ---

A Eulogy for Google Plus
-Arizona Hot (October 18, 2011, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think he was a bit premature, and his experience wasn't everone's experience.  Look at his profile *now* to see the difference...  he was comparing it to FB, and G+ isn't meant to be a competitor to FB, and never was.  The competition was in his mind alone... people have been iterating this fact more months now.  And the iteration of features is more reasoned than FB's throw stuff at you approach.   The only thing G+ needs in my opinion is a way to save articles to read for later, a la Read it Later or InstaPaper; though I can click through on the ones that are link sharing, sometimes there's something directly on G+ that I want to read later.

UPDATE:

Two later responses from the same author-
A Second Chance for Google+
The Rise of the Google+ Faithful

At this point, I don't know if the other article was to gain followers/attention on Google+  :o

A couple of pointed responses to his first article.

(At least it was going to be a couple of links... the permalink function isn't working.  But click on page 4 and there's a really good rebuttal)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version