ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SEO fun: Does the multi-domain tactic work?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
-db90h (October 12, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any chance you could elaborate on that a bit?
-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2011, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I deleted my opinion because I believe SEO, as you plan to do it, is 'cheating'. I believe you should not try such tactics. If you want your site to be found, then build a site that attracts people. Search engine manipulation is a big problem for everyone.-db90h (October 13, 2011, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood, and also part of why I said in the OP that (This was the Brass's idea) I was on-the-fence. ;)

It's really more of a case of trying to fix what our current domain name is doing to itself in the search ranking. We can't drop it because we've been using it for almost 20 years ... but it isn't helping in that it doesn't even vaguely imply what we're doing now. So I'm looking at (trying to keep it reasonable) adding 3 or 4 additional names that clarify/support our current direction. So we're attracting the right people, instead of confused people that wanted something entirely different.

Is it dancing on the edge of being the right way to do something wrong ... Yeah I'll give you that. But there is only so many times you can so say no to one of managements pet ideas before things start to get "complicated"... :)

barney:
FWIW,

A friend of mine with a commercial site bought all the names - .org, .net, .list, etc. - and put in permanent 301 redirects to his primary .com domain.  That addressed the domain issue, and he did see an increase in traffic.  Then he bought several other domains - mostly typo names - put up pages and linked to his primary, one-way links.  He lost ranking  :( when he did that.  (He didn't get the JC Penney lesson  ;D.)  He dropped those linkages and got most of his ranking back, but dropped to 2nd page in the SERPs.

SEO of a legitimate nature - content, good keywords, and the like - is fine.  But trying to game the system, artificially inflate position, can get awfully dicey.  Don't mean to imply that is your intent, but it's worth thinkin' 'bout how an honest effort might be misconstrued.  Prolly half the IM lists I'm on try to sell something that they swear will get you on 1st page - but none of 'em have much to say 'bout how long you'll stay there  :P. - and a lot of the SEO sellers/resellers do much the same.  My biggest giggle is to get a proposal from some SEO outfit that isn't even on the first three (3) pages of the SERPs  :o.  Kinda puts their offer(s) in perspective, donchano  :-\.

YMMV, but the JC Penney example might be something to mention for management consideration.

Stoic Joker:
FWIW,

A friend of mine with a commercial site bought all the names - .org, .net, .list, etc. - and put in permanent 301 redirects to his primary .com domain.  That addressed the domain issue, and he did see an increase in traffic.  Then he bought several other domains - mostly typo names - put up pages and linked to his primary, one-way links.  He lost ranking  :( when he did that.  (He didn't get the JC Penney lesson  ;D.)  He dropped those linkages and got most of his ranking back, but dropped to 2nd page in the SERPs.-barney (October 13, 2011, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's not actually too far from what I'm after. Not exact but similar.

SEO of a legitimate nature - content, good keywords, and the like - is fine.  But trying to game the system, artificially inflate position, can get awfully dicey.  Don't mean to imply that is your intent, but it's worth thinkin' 'bout how an honest effort might be misconstrued.-barney (October 13, 2011, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is the part that drives my Ape Shit. The "game" has gotten so convoluted you damn near need an attorney to explain it. Apparently some of this with Pointer Sites was the idea of a SEO guy the brass was talking to ... And then I run across this:
http://www.realwebresults.com/blog/redirecting-and-pointer-sites-problems/22/

Prolly half the IM lists I'm on try to sell something that they swear will get you on 1st page - but none of 'em have much to say 'bout how long you'll stay there  :P. - and a lot of the SEO sellers/resellers do much the same.  My biggest giggle is to get a proposal from some SEO outfit that isn't even on the first three (3) pages of the SERPs  :o.  Kinda puts their offer(s) in perspective, donchano  :-\.

YMMV, but the JC Penney example might be something to mention for management consideration.-barney (October 13, 2011, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

The prices the SEO types kick around is what I find staggering; $750 a month? ...WTF am I buying...a Yacht?!?

barney:
The prices the SEO types kick around is what I find staggering; $750 a month? ...WTF am I buying...a Yacht?!?
-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2011, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, if they're willing to offer a written guarantee, preferably with penalties, they might be worth it.  But the bottom line on most SEO orgs is a temporary surge, one which soon falters.  

Right now, barring specialty search sites, Google is the 800 lb. gorilla.  And that gorilla has a whole gang of monkeys working on how to prevent artificial inflation of a site's position.  And those monkeys are pretty damned good.  The penalties for getting caught in such inflation can get severe  :tellme:.  

I keep using the JC Penney example because it was recent and it was high profile amongst some knowledgeable folk - Wall Street, for instance  ;)? - but there are a plethora of such examples.  The thing is, you seldom hear about them, they just don't show up in searches any more  :o.  That makes it difficult to garner proof that such activities can be harmful to the point of fatality  :(.

Edit:  [If you missed the Penney thing, they were caught buying other sites, then using them to link to the primary site.  They were #1 on SERPs.  After getting caught, the went (I think) to #76 - dropped from page one (1) to page eight ( 8 ), where no one but a researcher would ever find 'em  :P.]

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2011, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, if they're willing to offer a written guarantee, preferably with penalties, they might be worth it.  But the bottom line on most SEO orgs is a temporary surge, one which soon falters. 

Right now, barring specialty search sites, Google is the 800 lb. gorilla.  And that gorilla has a whole gang of monkeys working on how to prevent artificial inflation of a site's position.  And those monkeys are pretty damned good.  The penalties for getting caught in such inflation can get severe  :tellme:. -barney (October 13, 2011, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay... So you're saying the best bet is to skip the SEO game entirely?? Or is there a better/simpler/safer/cheaper way to DIY that comes with something that vaguely resembles a bloody manual?

I'm not adverse to doing myself, I'd just like to know how many of my current assumptions regarding the topic are total crap ... Before I light a match... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version