ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SEO fun: Does the multi-domain tactic work?

(1/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
So the brass wants to grab some more domain names to try to increase the chances of our site coming up in various searches. I'm on the fence... I know this was a popular tactic once ... But does it still work?

I'm thinking going for 5-6 content relevant names might be worth it. But saturation bombing with a laundry list would just be bad/foolish/backfire, or just waste money.

Thoughts?

rgdot:
My experience tells me:

Keyword rich titles and content (but not to the point of being abused rich)
Something (blog or otherwise) updated regularly
Relevant incoming and out going links.
More to your point(?)...Avoid duplicate content, actually I would say this is only important if it's happening across multiple domains and not within the same url as some would claim.

Nothing else, despite what some 'pros' may say

EDIT:

If you are refering to buying (bad example) house.com, myhouse.com, thehouse.com to boost your ranking. In my opinion you can buy as many as you want but if the above points are not met it won't matter.

Stoic Joker:
Hm... Okay, that jives with what I was thinking for the other stuff, and it's being taken care of. This was more regarding having multiple domain names pointing at the same site. The assumption being if the key word queried is part of the domain name (and validated by content) it will rank (that site) higher is the search results.

Does that tactic still work in practice? ...Or am I completely off my nut??

rgdot:
I don't think it works.

In terms of the domain names themselves, not content:
I have rgdot.com, someone searching rgdot might get the person who has rgdot.net before me yes but me buying all of them (rgdot.org, rgdot.net, rg-dot.com, rg-dot.net) for myself will have no effect if someone is searching for rg, unless rg is some obvious trademark and not a regular word (like let's say if cnn-dot.com existed and someone searched cnn)

Stoic Joker:
if someone is searching for rg, unless rg is some obvious trademark and not a regular word (like let's say if cnn-dot.com existed and someone searched cnn)-rgdot (October 12, 2011, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's more where I'm coming from. Say somebody was searching for Duck Paper Blue, a  domain named BlueDuckPaper.com should (and seems to from tests I've run) rank highly in the search results as long as it doesn't have any other detractors (like no related content).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version