ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sansa Clip Zip: Wow!

<< < (12/16) > >>

superboyac:
I dont know your experience with this stuff so apologize if I'm not technical enough, or too techinical!

It's a USB DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).  You plug it into your USB port and it converts audio into analog signals the line input on your stereo/receiver can reproduce through speakers (or, if you use the headphone output, directly through headphones).  It requires no drivers (it's just a USB device) and you get another volume slider exclusively for it (in Win 7 at least).  It takes the place of a soundcard (a soundcard on a desktop PC usually is a PCI DAC). 

This device is great for boosting the audio quality output of a laptop (what I use it for).  It bypasses the crappy soundcard on the motherboard and allows you to use any powered speaker or amplifier system.   

It does not allow as much configurability as built in soundcards do (or did... it's been awhile since I've had one).  But it works on any computer and the sound quality is fine.  Here is the in-depth review I read a few years ago when deciding to get it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/456945/first-impressions-nuforce-udac-usb-dac-amp-with-line-out-and-s-pdif-out

And here is the product link to the new version:
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/

And, just to give you more options and confuse the issue, here is a wireless audio cable that uses the same principle as the uDAC above.  Both are excellent in my opinion (you use these separately, they dont stack):
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W1
-kfitting (January 14, 2012, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you!  That explanation was perfect.  So it does replace the sound card essentially.  I like that, I may experiment with it at work since I'm there all day long.
I'm also in the market for a new pro level sound card.  I'm using an M-Audio 2496, which is pretty good, but years old.  It's a little unstable with my Windows 7 64 bit, but nothing serious.  It uses the PCI slot because it's so old.  I'm looking for something with a more modern slot connect, like pci-express or something else.  I don't like USB connectors for pro sound cards because I've had really bad luck with USB and audio years ago, and it was unstable for me.  Sounds like it's mostly a non-issue now, but I'd rather have one of those motherboard connections, they just feel better.  However, I was surprised to see that M-Audio hadn't really updated this product in many years now, they are still selling the same stuff.  And other companies don't have many options for sound card alternatives.  And the ones that do are super expensive...the prices range from the Maudio cheap stuff ($100-200) to the very expensive ($1000+).  There's nothing in the $200-1000 range.  Very odd.

But maybe USB is the way to go, maybe someone has a USB 3.0 device.

Edvard:
The reason M-Audio hasn't updated is that the 2496 has been good enough or better than much of what has been out there since they came out.
Everybody else has finally caught up, as you can find 24-bit/96kHz cards just about anywhere for a good price, although M-Audio are still THE solution for decent-quality affordable home recording.
Personally, I have been drooling for a 2496 for YEARS (now the 192... sigh), sorry to hear yours is going south.

If you just want to listen to music, Creative has been leading that pack for many years, and they've evolved WAY beyond being just a gamer's soundcard, what with their THX-enabled home-theater grade X-Fi series, among others.
I haven't personally checked out their USB offerings, but I do know that USB audio has advanced quite a bit since the early days, and you can get the X-Fi Go! for about 30-40 dollars from Amazon, or spend up to 50 or so and get the X-Fi surround that's about the same size as a small external HD.
Check the product comparison chart here:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA

I've been told to avoid Behringer.

I have no idea what anybody else is doing, but I'm sure Sony and Phillips have something...

superboyac:
The reason M-Audio hasn't updated is that the 2496 has been good enough or better than much of what has been out there since they came out.
Everybody else has finally caught up, as you can find 24-bit/96kHz cards just about anywhere for a good price, although M-Audio are still THE solution for decent-quality affordable home recording.
Personally, I have been drooling for a 2496 for YEARS (now the 192... sigh), sorry to hear yours is going south.

If you just want to listen to music, Creative has been leading that pack for many years, and they've evolved WAY beyond being just a gamer's soundcard, what with their THX-enabled home-theater grade X-Fi series, among others.
I haven't personally checked out their USB offerings, but I do know that USB audio has advanced quite a bit since the early days, and you can get the X-Fi Go! for about 30-40 dollars from Amazon, or spend up to 50 or so and get the X-Fi surround that's about the same size as a small external HD.
Check the product comparison chart here:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA

I've been told to avoid Behringer.

I have no idea what anybody else is doing, but I'm sure Sony and Phillips have something...

-Edvard (January 15, 2012, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting, thanks for the update.  Yeah, the 2496 is doing fine, I really don't have any problems.  The instability I described above may be caused by something else like the motherboard.  So I'm still happy with the card.  But my complaint was the plugin interface, I'd prefer something more modern like PCI express so I have more options of where to place it on my motherboard.

But, i was just at the music store...I'm probably going to get a breakout type box like USB or Firewire for my next one.  I'm always too paranoid with USB stuff.  I had a bad experience with M-Audio USB boxes about 10 years ago with the drivers and latency, but all that has become a non-issue from everything I hear now.  I saw a MOTU usb box that I thought was really neat and reasonably priced.

Edvard:
MOTU is good stuff.
If it's recent and affordable, I'd get it.

JavaJones:
Yes, beware USB for serious audio stuff. ASIO drivers are often not available, which means no support (without a kludge like "ASIO4All") in apps like Reason.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version