topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sansa Clip Zip: Wow!  (Read 53872 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sansa Clip Zip: Wow!
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 08:10 PM »
You can download an earlier copy of the firmware here: http://forums.sandis...ighlight/true#M31623

I had the same problem and as soon as I pointed the utility program to the earlier version everything worked fine.

There is also some good info on the Rockbox forum: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php#7

EDIT:
You must have found the link while I was looking for and typing it up:

GOOD LUCK  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 04:38 AM »

• Does it complicate things to use an SD card?
  • Does it read internal and SD together?

I'm wondering if it's better to get a 2GB model and add an sd card later, or to get a larger 8GB straight away.
(I want to use it with computer style speakers, not sure yet how much use it will get in it's planned location - so I'm uncertain what exactly I want...)
Tom

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 10:05 AM »

I like the way the SD card feature works.  The SD is accessed separate.  It's shows like a thumbdrive does on a PC.  It comes up on mine as 'microSD1'.  Much easier to access and use than my old different brand.

I use mine both with both ear buds and external computer speakers.  I've had a set of Creative's for a few years that the Clip+ sounds great on.  Decided to also get a another set of cheaper speakers for my workshop area.  Those are a set mfg by Sylvania.  Bought them at a local Big Lots discount store.  They don't sound quite as good but will do.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Does the Clip navigate music based on folders, or does it keep an internal database?

I used to own a Sansa player (can't remember which model, and I'm away from home right now so can't look it up) - it was a very nice little device, which sadly got thrashed when I slipped on my bicycle pedal and fell off, some years ago. Anyway, getting to the point, every time I'd have it connected to my coputer, it would spent several minutes rebuilding a song database from the content on the SD card... this was really annoying!
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 10:58 AM »
In my experience, the stock Sansa firmware makes it's own internal database, and that's your only choice.
Malformed ID3 tags? Sorry, buddy, can't play 'em...
Everytime I added new music, it would detect it and update.

With RockBox, you have the choice of navigating by folder, playlist, or internal database that you have the choice of updating or not.

As far as updating while attached to your computer, I have no idea; never saw that.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 07:21 PM »

I should have mentioned above.  That is with Rockbox installed on my Clip+.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 06:03 AM »
thanks, sounds okay,
I'll probably get the 2GB version and a 32GB card - and mainly just use the card then. It doesnt have to be a superfast card I presume (I'm looking at one that's class 8 which is reasonlably fast)...
Tom

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 10:25 PM »
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 1.0" Blue 4GB MP3 Player

$10 off w/ promo code EMCJHKD24, ends 12/12

In stock. Limit 5 per customer.
Was: $89.99
Now: $39.99
Save: $50.00

http://www.newegg.co...ayers-_-55125128-L0A

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 04:53 PM »
I've got rockbox on my Sansa Clip+ but I can't figure out how to play ALL my music. Or even all the music by a single artist. I have to pick a specific album and it will only play that album.

I guess I need to RTSM!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:17 PM by Deozaan »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14 PM »
IN preparation for my next vacation, I purchased the Sansa Clip Zip.  Not because I didn't already have 3 or 4 mp3 players, just because.  It's really quite cool!!  I'm no mp3 player expert, but I have followed it closely over the years simply because I'm all about music.  I'll break down what makes this thing so freaking cool.  If you've ever had a Sansa Clip of any model, I'm probably preaching to the choir:
1) Super cheap.  I got the 8GB model for $70, and the 4 GB model is $50.

Good to know as I just ordered on (for £30 (GBP) for the 8Gb model plus model). A Xmas present for a friend for the gym.

I must admit I am tempted to get one too - just for the microSDHC slot (max 16Gb by the way - don't know why as I thought one of the pounts of SDHC was to remove artificial capacity limits).

Only gripe is the battery isn't replaceable - I know most MP3 now come with the "built in obsolescence" FEATURE but this is seriously annoying.

I am still using two Creative Zen Photos and have spare batteries - not only does it mean you can carry a battery but there is less BIO in the device (sound is good too).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Carol, I agree about the battery.  But it's such a cheap little device that I don't really mind.  It's one of those things that if it ever stops working, i'll just get another one.

About the sound quality, it's very good, especially through regular earphones (and Rockbox, if you need to really tweak things).  One thing that my Sony player does much better is playing through a speaker, like in the car.  I'm using both of them in the car, and the Sony sounds much better.  Sony is known for their best-in-class preamps on their devices, ever since Walkman days, and it shows in this example.  I have to max the volume on the clip to approach the level of the Sony, and the sound just doesn't come out as good.  I've always loved Sony's preamps.

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 03:16 PM »
I think this should help with battery replacement for the clip+.  Sansa Clip+ Battery

Inside Sansa Clip+

Sansa Clip DIY Battery Replacement

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 12:48 AM »
@ Carol:
I got my Clip used from someone who owned it for about a year and a half before I got it so it's been 3+ years since I got it and I've used it heavily.
On a full charge, it'll give me a solid 7+ hours before the battery takes a nose dive (once it gets down to 25% capacity, it drains rather quickly), and a little less (maybe 5+) if I'm listening really loud or with lots of bass.
The battery has a 400mAh and Sansa claims a fresh unit has a 14-hour capacity, although I'm sure that's a conservative estimate.

Point is, if your experience is anything like mine, (luck of the draw, perhaps?) it's unlikely you'll be needing to replace the battery unless you're looking to hold on to it for more than 5 years, at which point, I would expect battery capacity to go south no matter what it's made of.

@Cloq:
Awesome! I've had to re-solder the battery wires on my Clip twice just because it bangs around in my pocket so much, but never replaced it.
Good to know it is possible, but I was pretty paranoid every time I had to crack the case open; plastic snap brackets just aren't as robust as proper fasteners.
The post by "ncuxanam" in your second link has a link to the proper replacement, BTW.
 :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 01:43 AM »
The post by "ncuxanam" in your second link has a link to the proper replacement, BTW.

Third link. :Thmbsup:

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 06:36 AM »
If you're interested in boosting Clip output levels, the Fiio amps are very reasonably priced (especially the E6) - find some reviews.
Their low end amps E3, E5 and E6 at Amazon

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 12:36 PM »
If you're interested in boosting Clip output levels, the Fiio amps are very reasonably priced (especially the E6) - find some reviews.
Their low end amps E3, E5 and E6 at Amazon

I presume they would work with computer type speakers as well ? (they're only advertised for headfones).
or maybe not worth getting unless the speakers are good? - I havent a clue about this stuff...
Tom

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43 PM »
More expensive, but just mentioning it because I have one and it's worked extremely well for me:  NuForce's Nudaq.
http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-uDAC-2-Silver-Headphone-24bit/dp/B003Y5LY1C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323654072&sr=1-1-spell

No pressure, if you're not into audio you're probably not interested.  Just throwing it out there!

(I use the nudaq from my computer into a receiver.  I assume the one mentioned above would do the same.  I would not expect these to power speakers directly (self-powered speakers should be fine.)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 08:13 PM »
More expensive, but just mentioning it because I have one and it's worked extremely well for me:  NuForce's Nudaq.
http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-uDAC-2-Silver-Headphone-24bit/dp/B003Y5LY1C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323654072&sr=1-1-spell

No pressure, if you're not into audio you're probably not interested.  Just throwing it out there!

(I use the nudaq from my computer into a receiver.  I assume the one mentioned above would do the same.  I would not expect these to power speakers directly (self-powered speakers should be fine.)
I may give that a shot.  I've never experimented with the next level of audiophile-ness, which is using a preamp like that.  Preamps are one of those things that most people look at the price tag and immediately think it's BS pretentiousness.  But there must be something to it, so I need to try it out.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I presume they would work with computer type speakers as well ? (they're only advertised for headfones).
or maybe not worth getting unless the speakers are good? - I havent a clue about this stuff...

Probably would not hurt for computer speaker use.
Except that as computer speakers generally have their own built in amps, you're not gaining much except for possibly a cleaner signal.
Even so, very few computer type speakers would be able to reveal much of that signal quality anyway (my 2 cents )

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 05:37 AM »
Actually, wait a second... I completely overlooked something... the nudaq is a usb amplifer: usb in, analog audio out.  Probably wont work for these mp3 players.  Sorry, that's my bad.  In my excitement I overlooked the obvious!  A good option for computers though.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 09:17 AM »

Probably would not hurt for computer speaker use.
Except that as computer speakers generally have their own built in amps, you're not gaining much except for possibly a cleaner signal.
Even so, very few computer type speakers would be able to reveal much of that signal quality anyway (my 2 cents )

I know what you're saying (about quality of speakers) but e.g. I currently have an old ipod connected to 2.1 computer speakers (they not at all bad - with sub-woofer/bassbox) and I cant get much volume nor bass with it - the speakers are underperforming so it's gotta be the ipods fault. I was considering getting the sansa clip for use the same way until I reread the thread and SB was saying it wasnt great for connecting to speakers - hence the interest in your post about Fiio amps.
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 02:56 PM »
You need one of these:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Sexy!  ;D ;D

I learned a bit of that tube-technology when in (high)school, but was luckily born in such a year that I also was thought digital technology with 8 bit microprocessors 8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28 PM »
^
^ @ 300 to 450 euros -
it can look as sexy as it wants, I've better ideas for my money :p

:D
Tom