ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Multiple printer defs under W7. Anyone have the key to this?

(1/3) > >>

cranioscopical:
Does anybody know how to set up, under W7, multiple instances of a printer, each using its own set of parameters — and in a way that works?

E.g. for the same printer:
One definition might print on plain paper, fed from one source, and in draft mode.
One definition might print on photo paper, fed from a different source, and in highest-quality mode.

Under XP one simply made a copy of a printer listed in the devices section and then set the preferences for that copy.

After some fiddling, I made a copy of a printer under W7. Then I set one copy to params a and the other to params b. Both 'printers' appear but one is on a sub-menu of the printer icon (see image).

Multiple printer defs under W7. Anyone have the key to this?

To my chagrin, both variants print with the params of the later of the two to be changed — whichever that might be. Despite being able to select one or the other from any printer dialog, each produces the same result.

JavaJones:
Does your printer driver not have a built-in preset or setting memory management function? Or do you just want to make it a little quicker to access something like that?

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
Is it a wrieless printer or are you connecting with a USB cable?

If it is a USB cable have you tried clicking Add a new printer and adding a new copy of that printer?

Not sure how you can do that with a network printer (Windows seems to just recognise that it is the same printer).

tomos:
FWIW, I'm pretty sure I used the "Add a new printer" method for this (I was unable to make a copy of the printer). It showed same as your's above - in sub-menu under printers, but as seperate printer in print dialogue. But it *does* work here.
Again FWIW also with a Canon printer - connected per usb cable.

cranioscopical:
Does your printer driver not have a built-in preset or setting memory management function? Or do you just want to make it a little quicker to access something like that?

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (October 11, 2011, 01:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the response; the latter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version