ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

cloud processing for end users - when? already?

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
Speaking of, I just wrote an expanded version of an article I wrote on getting around censorship:

http://cynic.me/2011/10/06/getting-around-internet-censorhip-internet-freedom/

Summary:

VPN + DNS
-Renegade (October 11, 2011, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

That solution assumes that there are still places to open VPN tunnels to, and there are still honest DNS servers.

ACTA is bent on remedying that loophole. Just wait for a couple of years.
-eleman (October 12, 2011, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

They'll be around for a long time. I hope. I pray...

Let's just hope that ACTA can't get it's act together. :)

Nod5:
40hz: I hadn't read about the Mirror Worlds book before. Putting it on my to read list.

Renegade: The number of consumers might be small. But it is not as if a completely new service is needed. Services that already caters to business could aim for end users too with some modification. The one I found above, zencoder.com , actually seems open to individual customers even though they're clearly geared towards companies (see the list of customer cases on their site). They have have a pay-as-you-go option: $0.05 per minute of output video which would mean $3 for a one hour video. AFAICT all needed is to set up a FTP on the home computer for input/output and use Curl or something similar to create an encoding job. They even have a free test account (you get a few seconds of video back only) so I'll test it out when I have more time. The AWS alternative is also open to individuals I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version