ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Windows 8 from a Developer's Perspective Post-BUILD

(1/4) > >>

wraith808:
Here are a few articles that help understand what it will be like developing for Windows 8. In June Microsoft announced that the preferred way for developing for Windows 8 would be HTML/Javascript/CSS which really upset a lot of .NET developers. In the BUILD conference in September MS did a better job of commuicating out what developing in Windows 8 is really about. And not to worry .NET is still alive and kicking but its restricted and some namespaces have been retired.

Silverlight in IE is dead, altough it lives on for the desktop.  Visual Basic is not dead, and they are removing a lot of the differences between VB and C# development.  Chances are a lot of applications will have to be rewritten to fit into Metro, especially those that use the System.IO namespace.  However, one of the articles has an interesting throw-away sentence about the chaos of the windows desktop is just a click away.

XAML is defnitely the way to go for UI however it lives in a different namespace now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/19/programming_for_windows_8/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/03/visual_basic_c_sharp_future/

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/sasha/archive/2011/09/15/winrt-and-net-in-windows-8.aspx

http://dougseven.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/win8-platform-and-tools.jpg​

So quite a few changes, I guess developers will be busy when Windows 8 comes around.

40hz:
However, one of the articles has an interesting throw-away sentence about the chaos of the windows desktop is just a click away.
-wraith808 (October 10, 2011, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know that the Microsoft walled garden named 'Metro' is also just a mouse click away.

WELCOME TO WINDOWS 8 and METRO

Developers are 'invited' to enjoy the new "freedom from choice" such a locked-down environment will bring them, to say nothing of how neatly it will remove from them the burden of introducing innovation or radical change. Microsoft will take care of all of that for you. Even if they have never been an overly innovative company.

Which is encouraging. Especially since what few "innovations" Microsoft has attempted to introduce (i.e. Bob, Zune - or the tablet PC which has been blocked for 10 years inside Microsoft because the Office Dev team allegedly didn't like it!) have either failed spectacularly (Bob), or are underwritten through patent trolling (Zune, WinPhone) rather than allowed to compete on their own merits.

Yes indeed. This is the start of a new Golden Age for Microsoft. One that promises great things for software developers everywhere. And all for a distribution cost of only a measly 30% of their total sales revenue for the privilege and convenience (i.e tariff) they'll be charged in order to sell ALL their Metro apps through a 'company store.'

This is the dawn of Digital Colonialism. :'(

I can't hardly wait. :P :Thmbsup:

-----------------------

Addendum - proposed box art for Windows 8 leaked:

Windows 8 from a Developer's Perspective Post-BUILD

;) 8)

wraith808:
 :huh:

* wraith808 shrugs
Hey, I'm just trying to make a buck.  ;D

40hz:
:huh:

* wraith808 shrugs
Hey, I'm just trying to make a buck.  ;D
-wraith808 (October 10, 2011, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have a problem with that. That's all any of us are trying to do.

But I do have a big problem with only receiving 70¢ for each buck I do make. ;D

(Assuming you still need to buy the development tools like you did when .NET and Visual Studio ruled the roost. If the dev platform is offered for free, that would be a different story.)

8)

wraith808:
But I do have a big problem with only receiving 70¢ for each buck I do make.
-40hz (October 10, 2011, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

The government already takes about that much...  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version