topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2012 Idea Suggestion: Change Monitor  (Read 5688 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2012 Idea Suggestion: Change Monitor
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Ill expand on this in the morning, just wanted to get the basic idea down before I forget!

Monitor, Track, and Document ALL Folder and file moves across all HDD's.

EG: 

If I move a folder named "Photos" which contains 3 other folders with X files in, and the folder has X files in, the software will track exactly where that folder and all its contents has been moved to, and store them in a log listed by date and time.

So basically, if I move a file on the 12th October, and forget where I put it, but know roughly when it was moved (even if its only a "It was last month I think", you can search for any file and folder changes in that month.

Should have a powerful search option, should also have a folder content listing, so you can see what files where in said folders.

This should track EVERY MOVEMENT of EVERY FILE AND FOLDER

Anyway, like I said, ill explain more tomorrow.  If I didn't write this now, I would have totally forgotten!

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Idea Suggestion: Change Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:30 PM »
It'll be of interest to see whether you want mealtime tracking, or, say, a twenty-four :huh: hour summary, i.e., a regular scan to determine - and log - current location, or an activity summary scan.  That latter one could get pretty intense, methinks  ;).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:37 AM »
whether you want mealtime tracking, or, say, a twenty-four :huh: hour summary, i.e., a regular scan to determine - and log - current location, or an activity summary scan.  That latter one could get pretty intense
A  real dog's dinner  ;D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:41 AM »
It'll be of interest to see whether you want mealtime tracking, or, say, a twenty-four :huh: hour summary, i.e., a regular scan to determine - and log - current location, or an activity summary scan.  That latter one could get pretty intense, methinks  ;).

Perhaps having an option for both would be fun, but realtime seems the most realistic :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Seems like there are plenty of folder monitor tools, but they seem to fall into 2 camps:
  • Watch for activity in order to take some action when it occurs
  • Watch for activity in order to diagnose some issue

What seems different and interesting about stephen's request is the idea for a more permanent watcher, whose job is to log certain activity in a permanent store that can be sorted and searched perhaps months later.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Monitor, Track, and Document ALL Folder and file moves across all HDD's.

Should have a powerful search option, should also have a folder content listing, so you can see what files where in said folders.

This should track EVERY MOVEMENT of EVERY FILE AND FOLDER

When I put these three together I see some serious security implications regarding data leakage. File names might not seem important, but much can be gleened from them especially when (long names allow...) users are a bit too specific.