ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

looking for programming language

(1/3) > >>

kalos:
hello

Trying to start learning a programming language, I chose Javascript, since it is the most widely used one. However, the fact that it does not work independently, but only according to its environment, made me drop it. Then, I moved to VBScript, which was nice to see how easy it is, but I realized it is limited: you cannot display date using more than 3-4 formats, while Excel offers you 17-18, and to be honest, I expect a programming language to give you the option to create your own date format.

So, do you have any suggestions that would make my searching for a powerful programming language easier?

Given the fact that it must be able to identify and interact with windows and controls of other apps, with databases, with website elements, etc

thanks!

Eóin:
Interacting with windows versus with website elements are hugely separated domains. Can you be a bit more specific?

Renegade:
Given the fact that it must be able to identify and interact with windows and controls of other apps, with databases, with website elements, etc
-kalos (October 09, 2011, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Eóin makes a good point that you kind of need to figure out what you want to do... but, if that's the list... Any .NET language will let you do that. e.g.:

Interact with:

* Windows - This is very basic, but you may need pinvoke

* Controls of other apps - You will need pinvoke

* Databases - ADO.NET

* Website elements - The WebBrowser control or MozNET can help you do this (or WebClient etc.)

Goals are important there as well, e.g. What do you want to do with a web site or web site element?

Ath:
I chose Javascript
--- End quote ---
searching for a powerful programming language
--- End quote ---
How come you use those two statements related in 1 message? Or did I misunderstand and are you now looking for a more powerful language than jscript? 8)

Any .NET language will let you do that.
-Renegade (October 09, 2011, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1

kalos:
to be honest, I don't know what I want to do, I just know that I want to learn a language that will worth it
vbscript failed, isn't the reason mentioned in first post a good reason?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version