ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lodsys Patent Troll - Get Ready to Scream...

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
So, it appears that Lodsys is running around suing small developers for having "Buy Now" buttons inside of their software.

They're sending patent infringement letters (FedEx) for US patents 5999908, 7133834 and 7620565.

If you want to see part of the trainwreck, errr... the portion that the media reports...

http://www.techdirt.com/search.php?q=lodsys

But they are targeting small developers as well. Like, 1-man shops.

The claim is that having a "Buy Now" button is a patent infringement. Or some crap like that. Whatever. It's idiotic.

I can't post what I really think because it's simply... ummm... not nice? Is that a good way to phrase it? :P

mouser:
This software patent insanity has to stop.  Yet another situation where only the largest companies can afford to defend themselves against this kind of harassment.

Renegade:
This software patent insanity has to stop.  Yet another situation where only the largest companies can afford to defend themselves against this kind of harassment.
-mouser (October 08, 2011, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons why I'm hoping for wholesale slaughter in the Samsung v. Apple patent wars.

If the patent system can create a massive, high-profile debacle, then we're one step closer to sanity.

The body count only matters for BIG players. If these guys walk away bloody and bruised, then that's an advancement.

Small guys... Irrelevant. Companies like Lodsys can destroy lives until the cows come home, and nobody will care (in the media/judiciary/whatever).

Hoping... crossing my fingers... praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster... :)

vlastimil:
The situation with software patents is getting out of hand. I decided to add this line to the EULA of all my freeware apps:

You may NOT:
* Do evil things with XXX. Evil things include, but are not limited to, promotion of racism, software patents, extreme religion or totalitarian organizations, cyberbullying, or spamming.
--- End quote ---

( whole EULA here: http://www.rw-designer.com/entry/315 )

I doubt it would have a direct effect, but there may be indirect ones. I hope it will draw attention to the topic and it feels good having "software patents" and "racism" in one sentence.

Will anyone join me?

Eóin:
This is one of the reasons why I'm hoping for wholesale slaughter in the Samsung v. Apple patent wars.

If the patent system can create a massive, high-profile debacle, then we're one step closer to sanity.-Renegade (October 08, 2011, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, it's like a bubble now, eventually (I pray) it'll have to pop.

Here's another example of the madness - Patent Troll Says Anyone Using WiFi Infringes. Like Lodsys, they're only suing soft targets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version