topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Main window font size  (Read 19151 times)

candyman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Main window font size
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:22 AM »
I noticed an old post asking about being able to change font size (in the main window).  I could not find any further info on this.

I find that the main window font size of the menu names is small, but OK (using Win 7).  But the actual clip text, memo text, and group names are tiny, especially for my aging eyes :D.  If the font size could be made the same as the menu item font size that would be OK.  Or if there were an option to select the size that would be even better.  Thanks for listening.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Main window font size
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:33 AM »
That sounds like a good idea, I will try to make it configurable.  Can't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Doesn't it scale with the Windows default font size? (Haven't tried myself)

If you set Windows to 125% (120 dpi for pre-Windows 7) most apps scale to the larger font size, and so should CHS, IMHO. Why should the CHS main window have a larger font then default font size?

candyman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I believe the menu titles are at the Windows default font size. That's fine.

But the actual text below there in the other parts of the window, for example the group titles, and the actual text of the clip, are at least 3 to 4 points smaller font.  At least that's they way they display for me using Windows 7.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I tend to try to undo font scaling in my apps, just because it can mess up with the gui placement of controls.  That may be what's happening here.  I'll have a look.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:43 AM »
cadyman, can you take a screenshot and attach it to your post so we can see what it looks like for you?

candyman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Here is what I see:
clipboard.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 02:27 PM »
yep, ok i see what you mean.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05 PM »
+1 from me - I'd like to be able to configure the fontsize of different parts of CHS (which I use a lot) - ideally, I'd like to be able to configure most aspects of the display to suit my peculiar needs.

@candyman: Working in this area on some projects years ago, I learned that the ergonomics of computer usage can be greatly assisted by enabling user control over the variability of fonts and backgrounds, with some surprising potential benefits able to be realised.

Therefore, and FWIW: If you are finding it difficult to read some screens, then you might also consider setting the system default background colour from white to a sort of light mustard colour. In the screenshot below, you can see how CHS looks to me, having done this. For comparison, the CHS window is overlaid on the blurred background of your post and screenshot. (My screenshot was captured using the already excellent yet ever-improving DC Screenshot Captor).   :Thmbsup:

17_352x189_F1DADFE1.pngMain window font size

Studies into human visual perception have given us examples of several colour combinations that can greatly ease visual perception and assist reading comprehension. They do this by reducing the eyestrain and the visual perceptual disorganisation that arises from visually "noisy" or conflicting colours, glare and contrast, and by improving legibility. These examples include:
  • Black print on a light mustard background (as in the example).
  • Black print on a light grey background.
  • Light green on a black background.
  • White print on a black background.
(Also, if you want to help yourself further, these studies have proven that serifed fonts enable speedier and improved reading/comprehension rather than sans serif. This idea of course goes down about as well with the Helvetica or Arial Fascista as does the idea of using good scientific method with the anthropogenic global warming church. See how Google's latest "new look" has gone all white and glary? Go figure. Maybe they are just ignorant.)

These studies in human visual perception also indicate examples of the absolute worst colour combinations to give perceptual disorganisation, eyestrain and probably a headache:
  • Black and bright yellow combinations - including black print on a bright yellow background.
  • Bright green and red combinations - including either one being used on a background of the other.
  • Black and white combinations - including black print on a white background. (Yep, Gutenburg inadvertently started zapping our eyes by setting that as the customary combo all those years ago!)

By the way, I use Google reader in Chrome to do most of my reading of DC and other forums/blogs, because I can use an extension Change Colours.
I would prefer to use Firefox (my preferred browser), but I have not yet found a similarly useful script/add-on.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:46 AM by IainB »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 11:44 AM »
you might also consider setting the system default background colour from white to a sort of light mustard colour
-IainB
I'll second that one! Been doing it ever since it was possible. I don't want to be snow-blind.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:51 AM »
I would prefer to use Firefox (my preferred browser), but I have not yet found a similarly useful script/add-on.

It's easy enough to toggle this one any number of ways. Have you tried and rejected it? It's not perfect.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I would also very much like font/color options for CHS.  I'm starting to make CHS my main clipboard application, with all the improvements recently.  The thing that would send it over the edge would be this interface font/color tweaking options.  If possible, it would be great to be able to edit the fonts of:
1) the grid
2) the tree
3) the editor

All independently.  Thanks for all the latest updates.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24 PM »
yeah i think that should be possible.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I too would appreciate some control over fonts.

Take pity on a poor old user! When stuff gets too small, my only recourse is to change spectacles — that requires first finding the correct pair; they're usually in some far off reaches of the house deliberately blending in with the background.

Enough pathos to motivate?  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28 PM »
How's this for custom ugly:
Screenshot - 10_16_2011 , 8_28_04 PM.pngMain window font size

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Gee whiz! Not only did you respond but you were thoughtful enough to preset it with my favourite colours and fonts.

How did you know?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43 PM »
That's garish enough to make me feel a bit queasy!
"Custom ugly" is right.
Still, it demonstrates the ability to customise the appearance. Thanks.    :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 11:02 PM »

It's easy enough to toggle this one any number of ways. Have you tried and rejected it? It's not perfect.

-cranioscopical (October 09, 2011, 11:51 AM)
Thanks, I knew I could use a a setting like this in FF, but I want to be able to set the colours on the fly, as per this screenshot from my Chromium browser:
Screenshot - 2011-10-17 , 16_58_20.png

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 11:24 PM »
On the first pass, I failed to realize that I'd have to increase the grid row height by as much was required.  :-[

The ability to set larger fonts is very much appreciated — helps a lot!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:42 PM by cranioscopical »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 05:24 PM »
How's this for custom ugly: (see attachment in previous post)
I know it's considered ugly, but it's not too far off the kinds of schemes I set up for my applications.  I don't care about beauty with this stuff; I'm usually far more concerned about drawing the eye to the appropriate places, and if I have to use clashing girly pastel colors to get the proper effect, I will.  Thanks mouser!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 06:16 PM »
I'm usually far more concerned about drawing the eye to the appropriate places, and if I have to use clashing girly pastel colors to get the proper effect, I will.
Your underwear must be something to see!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 07:08 PM »
I'm usually far more concerned about drawing the eye to the appropriate places, and if I have to use clashing girly pastel colors to get the proper effect, I will.
Your underwear must be something to see!
-cranioscopical (October 17, 2011, 06:16 PM)
I do have a *special* pair reserved for special occasions.  It's a lovely official warner bros superman boxer-brief.  With nice, thick material and the superman logo stitched on and the logo itself is of very high quality stitching.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I do have a *special* pair reserved for special occasions.  It's a lovely official warner bros superman boxer-brief.  With nice, thick material and the superman logo stitched on and the logo itself is of very high quality stitching.
                       :o

Nobody could accuse you of being chicken with those and a capon!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 05:14 AM »
Just as a follow-on from how the brain can interpolate meaning and gain more rapid comprehension when serifed fonts are are used, someone sent me this in an email today. I reckon that it's an example of how remarkable our brains can be at using all manner of data to gather meaning from something:

Spoiler
Can you read this?

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H 0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N R3AD 7H15.  PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F U C4N R34D 7H15.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I posted this yesterday to the "wrong" discussion thread: Re: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.11.01 - Nov 13, 2011
Have just had the opportunity and sit down and play for quite a long while with CHS and its new/improved settings in the latest version(s) of CHS.

The Options | Custom Appearance controls. Wow!      :Thmbsup:
These seem to work superbly, are stable and "sticky". Perfect. Thankyou.
I can now finally get all the visually ergonomic features I would like for reduced eyestrain.

The screenshot below shows a near-perfect setup for me - what CHS looks like on my laptop now.
Highly legible, kinder to the eyes. I have kept with the default font (MS Sans Serif font.) for now - raised to 10pt - but am considering moving to Times or another serif font (for reasoning, see above thread).
I have to use reading glasses with a fairly long focal length for laptops, and shorter for books, but even so, fonts that are "too small" are annoying.
21_1366x768_7B52E2B1.png