topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: First it was Apple. Now Oracle is circling its wagons.  (Read 2531 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First it was Apple. Now Oracle is circling its wagons.
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:12 AM »
Trash-talk Announcements like this from jerks people like Larry Ellison makes me sometimes wish I'd never have to touch a PC or log onto a network again.

from The Register (full article here)

'There'll be nothing left of IBM once I'm done,' says Ellison
Promises a terrific licking for 'Mister Blue'

By Timothy Prickett Morgan

Posted in Servers, 3rd October 2011 15:40 GMT

Oracle has pulled the rug out from under Hewlett-Packard's Intel's Itanium processor by yanking support of its database, middleware, and application software on future "Poulson" and "Kittson" Itaniums. It looks as though Larry Ellison wants to take on IBM in microprocessors for data center systems, man to man, head to head.

"I remember when we first bought Sun, a lot of people said we were going to get out of the hardware business," Oracle's co-founder and CEO said opening up his keynote at the OpenWorld customer and partner and conference on Sunday night, when he also announced the new Exalytics in-memory BI appliance.

"I guess we didn't get that memo," Ellison quipped, pointing out that Apple is doing a "pretty good job" designing its own hardware and software and making it work well with its own services. And that Oracle is not only committed to making its server, storage, and networking business work, but having taken Sun's hardware as a means of getting its hands on Solaris and Java, Oracle is actually enthusiastic about creating its own stack

I guess with the departure of Steve Jobs from the world stage Larry Ellision is attempting to take over Steve's old role as industry LMFA before the 'other Steve' (i.e. Ballmer) grabs it.

Hmm...just thinking out loud for a moment...

What may ultimately be Steve Jobs' most enduring contribution to the world of computing was his coming up with a business model that completely destroyed everything open standards had achieved (and hoped to accomplish in the future) once all the major corporations started copying it.

Now there's a legacy to be proud of! :-\

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: First it was Apple. Now Oracle is circling its wagons.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 05:15 PM »
What may ultimately be Steve Jobs' most enduring contribution to the world of computing was his coming up with a business model that completely destroyed everything open standards had achieved (and hoped to accomplish in the future) once all the major corporations started copying it.
But... But! Jobs was all about freedom of choice! And thinking differently!

As long as "different" meant consuming Apple products.
- carpe noctem