ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The confusion about the term "lifetime license"

<< < (2/6) > >>

zridling:
Since only biological beings -- in this case humans -- have "life," software doesn't technically share the same quality. Lifetime means my entire life, not until the software stops working. Oh crap, this is yet another reason it's so liberating to run Linux: this issue never comes up, ever.

tomos:

wasnt the confusion really started by "subscription" licenses where (I dunno here - I dont have any like that) the software would no longer work after subscription period had ended?

f0dder:
Oh crap, this is yet another reason it's so liberating to run Linux: this issue never comes up, ever.-zridling (October 07, 2011, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh really? Lifetime updates one version of a distro? Or even lifetime for a distro?

40hz:
Oh crap, this is yet another reason it's so liberating to run Linux: this issue never comes up, ever.-zridling (October 07, 2011, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh really? Lifetime updates one version of a distro? Or even lifetime for a distro?
-f0dder (October 07, 2011, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Prediction: The smaller and indy developers are really going to miss the GNU/Linux/FOSS movement when Microsoft and the other players finally put it out of business with their portfolios of merit-less patents, paid-off government lackeys, and deep pockets.

Sure hope those guys don't mind the lumpen programmer future Microsoft, Google, Oracle, and Apple have in mind for them.
 :)

40hz:

Oh crap, this is yet another reason it's so liberating to run Linux: this issue never comes up, ever.

-zridling (October 07, 2011, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1! :Thmbsup:

We have our own separate issues of stupidity. But fortunately, we at least don't have THAT one! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version