ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is this a worthwhile idea for a program?

<< < (8/8)

IainB:
Still on the tack of trying to understand what there may be to learn from existing wheels, I did a Google search on "Parse and convert numeric text from English to Polish" and got an interesesting list of results. For example:

* Translation Gadgets and Software
* Free Online English to Polish Translator
* Utilities to convert dates and numbers from one human language syntax/format to another - including a Microsoft-provided VBA function for use in Excel.Hope this is of use/help.

tranglos:
Okay, this thread ain't dead, it just took a while before I could pop it off the stack...

cough cough..

My Clipboard Help+Spell program can do all of this already.
-mouser (October 07, 2011, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I knew that! :-)

Plus it will allow you to list your saved transformation operations in a menu that you can trigger, or assign them to specific hotkeys for really quick work.

--- End quote ---

That, I didn't know. Somehow I figured you'd have to set all the options in that dialog box every time. The ability to save presets is great, and you're really providing for pretty much everything there.

Now, I'll probably have a go at it my own way, because I'm itching to do a scripting-enabled application. Today I was almost ready to start adding it to Echo, but on second thought, I'm not certain the transformations belong in it. This is because:

(a) most of the time you don't need the transformations at all. I know I only need them when doing a specific job in some app, for an hour or a few, and even then only a small percentage of everything that's copied to clipboard needs to be transformed.

(b) transforming everything (because the feature's been turned on) wastes CPU cycles and memory (esp. extenral scripts) and could add much unneeded clips to the database (assuming for the sake of argument that every clip is stored in its original and the transformed form).

(c) Switching the transformations on and off, and selecting the one to use - that's work. The functionality needs to be instantly available when needed, and absent otherwise.

I put an example here, but you gave one already, reducing 9 operations to two. That's the ideal, but perhaps not quite attainable, since you'd have to have a separate hotkey for every script or transformation you ever apply, which is unrealistic. (But you may have hotkeys for the 10 most frequent, say.) I'll be happy with four steps:

* Select the string
* Press a hotkey to bring up the app-to-be-named or just a pop-up menu
* Select script / transformation from the menu (with instant search, most recently used scrips on top, all that goodness)
* Press Enter to execute.
That way we've just eliminated 60% of user actions, and this is a good target. It seems to me that a dedicated app can make this process smoother, more organic. It's more like a special-purpose macro utility. In fact, I suppose all capable macro apps could be used for this purpose as well, if only I could pick one :)

tranglos:
You may be better off using a programmable editor like Vim.-MilesAhead (October 07, 2011, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wish! :) I could do that in EmEditor or UltraEdit as well, seeing as they both come with JavaScript built in. Trouble is, for my specific needs, I work in a highly specialized "vertical" app called Trados (most translators know (of) it; most non-translators don't). Using it is a requirement, and it is actually a good thing, but it lacks certain features. Anyway, I don't have the liberty of using an editor of choice, hence the idea for a sidekick app.

-tranglos (October 07, 2011, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't get it. If you can clipboard stuff out, then paste it back in after transformations, you can paste it into a programmable editor and paste it back?  Maybe I have to be there to see the obstacle.
-MilesAhead (October 07, 2011, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I'm doing already. I select, copy, paste into TextPad or EmEditor, run a macro, switch back, paste...

The point is to streamline all that; particularly eliminate the app switching, and make macro selection easier and faster.

But you are right; there are already ways to do that. That's one reason I posted this as a question in the first place :-)

tranglos:
Yes but what's the difference between a "formatting program" and an editor that has a script loaded sitting there waiting for the paste? For all purposes the editor is an interpreter running your "formatting program."

Set it as default in Text Editor Anywhere.  Select text, hit the hotkey. Hit Go to run the script in the editor.  What's the difference?
-MilesAhead (October 08, 2011, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not much! Depends on how you look at it. I'd say one difference is focus - sometimes you can do things quicker and smoother using a dedicated tool. Such a tool is not an editor, so it can be more focused on the specific task, and in some ways do it better than an editor that has to worry about so much more.

Then there's the mechanics. If you're transforming a line of text, no difference. But very often I need to strip html or xml tags from a document so that I can spell-check it (the business app does not have a working spellchecker, either). The file may be 10 MB, most of which are tags. Sometimes there is not a single linebreak in those 10 MB of xml, because it was machine-generated and no linebreaks are needed for the document to be valid.

Now, if you'ever pasted 10 MB of XML as one line into a syntax-highlighting editor with word wrapping enabled... you know what happens. What happens depends on the editor, but typically it will chew on it for a long time before it will accept any more input from you. Especially if the syntax highlighting works from regular expressions.

Then you run the script, and it still takes more time than it has to, because the editor will maintain its undo buffer and update the display... All these can be turned off, sure. But a dedicated app doesn't need to paste the mess anywhere, doesn't need undo, doesn't refresh the screen, so it can do the work in a fraction of the time a full editor will take.

Then there are little things, like whether you can assign shortcuts to macros in the editor for faster execution. Trivial molehills that tend to become mountains when you repeat them over and over for years. Sixteen years in my case; I'm ready for an improvement  :-)

tranglos:
This putative program would have absolutely the same effect as defining scripts as external tools in your favourite editor, but be a low-drag way of invoking them.
-rjbull (October 10, 2011, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Emphasis mine. That's exactly what I was trying to say, thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version