ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is this a worthwhile idea for a program?

<< < (7/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
text, hit the hotkey. Hit Go to run the script in the editor.  What's the difference?-MilesAhead (October 08, 2011, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, you get the same effect, but you get it in less keystrokes/mouse clicks.  That can really add up.
-rjbull (October 09, 2011, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

You may be right. When it comes to substitutions such as regex or perl type business or even sed and awk I try to find stuff already tested.  I find figuring that stuff out more difficult than the rest of the program often times.  Everyone has their aptitudes.  One of mine is definitely eating cheese pastry.  But I don't think that will help in this case. :)

I started with Dos so I was never fully comfortable with Linux. Mainly due to lack of "Windowsie" editors.  But I have to give credit when it comes to using prefabricated stuff slapped together to get stuff done, esp. with text.

IainB:
@rjbull:
Maybe IainB hasn't discovered it yet   :D
--- End quote ---
Heh. That's true - I don't understand (have not "discovered") a great deal of functionality in CHS nor the requirements that could have conceivably led to them. To be fair, I did at least make provision for them in some general and vague lines in the requirements analysis spreadsheet though.
There's still a lot in CHS that I have not yet managed to wrap my head around.
As @superboyac puts it:
mouser, I didn't even realize CHS could do this until maybe last week or so.  Guys, check it out, it's freaking awesome:
--- End quote ---

I already think that what @mouser has done so far with CHS as a relational database is pretty impressive.

mouser:
I've uploaded an alpha version of the new CHS which now lets you configure external tools associated with a formatting preset, to do what we talked about here; more info and download: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28290.msg264724#msg264724

note that this is NOT unicode compatible, so doesn't solve the original request.

rjbull:
When it comes to substitutions such as regex or perl type business or even sed and awk I try to find stuff already tested.  I find figuring that stuff out more difficult than the rest of the program often times.
[...]
Linux. [...] I have to give credit when it comes to using prefabricated stuff slapped together to get stuff done, esp. with text.
-MilesAhead (October 09, 2011, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Coloured by my own experience, I understood the OP to be suggesting a container for putting scripts of that sort in, or other text-manipulation tools, with the idea of calling them by hotkey, to directly operate on the contents of the clipboard.  You're right that figuring out the scripts and/or command lines themselves is another problem (and why I was bemused by the existence of mouser's Drag and Drop Robot).  This putative program would have absolutely the same effect as defining scripts as external tools in your favourite editor, but be a low-drag way of invoking them.

Both Clippy and Text Monkey are very capable, with a wide variety of functions.  But neither of them offer the ability to add external tools, as mouser's CHS does.

MilesAhead:
To fully understand the task I think I'd have to see the vertical editor in use. I didn't envision running little snippets through a filter.  But running the whole file through for patterns that trigger changes.  Of course the pattern would have to be exclusive enough to avoid false matches. It may be that it's not feasible.  But my thought was more like "prepping" the text before manually working like a diner cook preps the home fries.  Put the whole file through a string of stream edits until you make all the substitutions that can be automated.  Then just edit as normal.

Trouble with the substitution thing, unless you do it constantly and are very adept, it usually involves time consuming trial and error.  That's why I try to use "canned" stream filter scripts.. esp. one-liners.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version