ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is this a worthwhile idea for a program?

<< < (6/8) > >>

mouser:
Well if does what we're talking about then it does what we're talking about :)

IainB:
This might be of help/use: For years I have used a brilliant text parser/"cleaner" for jokes that I send out to subscribers via my jokes listserver (which draws on a large database of collected jokes that people have sent me via email).

I often have to reformat the jokes first, because they need it. I use a freeware program called Cleaner (version 1.02), which was introduced to me by an American guy I used to work with on a project in Thailand (Hi Ed!), and which is a real time-saver.  This utility is ideal if you wish to keep and use text received through email.  It was really annoying to see all the ">" symbols in front of each line - though these have become much less common with today's technology.  Not only does this nifty little program remove them from email messages, making the message look cleaner and preventing choppy word wraps, but also it clears any special formatting properties - e.g., losing any special formats that may have been put in by Outlook or Word. This is quite handy nowadays when people seem to use all sorts of large text formats and insert irrelevant GIFs into the joke.
For example:

The cleaner helps to just strip out the bare text and make it more legible.
However, it does not help to make the jokes any funnier.    ;)

If you want a copy of Cleaner to have a look-see, you can get it (the latest version is called eCleaner version 2.02) from various sites on the Internet.  The author's website is now http://ecleaner.tripod.com/.
This version has many more features - for example, it has buttons to strip out HTML code from the text.

eCleaner probably wouldn't be of much use for the purposes of this discussion thread (text language syntax parsing), but I suppose you could do worse than ask the author of eCleaner if you could have the code to adapt to parsing different languages. (Why re-invent all parts of the wheel?) He might even be interested in helping out - his website indicates that eCleaner is becoming obsolete, so he might like to collaborate with DC coders in a new challenge. His email contact details are in the Help file for eCleaner.

Update: I have sent the author of eCleaner an email with the contents of this post, so he can see for himself whether he likes the idea.

MilesAhead:
-mouser (October 08, 2011, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows users generally aren't comfortable using a chain of filters.  Everything has to happen in one module.  Some people won't even use a program if it uses more than one process or even a dll(that they notice. When pointed out that most every exe uses one or more Windows system dlls usually a disappointed silence follows.)  Unix based systems have solved most of these issues a long time ago.  But that's why clipboard is there. Have at it. :)

If it was me I'd investigate Windows versions of Linux/Unix stream editors and look for already debugged scripts.

rjbull:
text, hit the hotkey. Hit Go to run the script in the editor.  What's the difference?-MilesAhead (October 08, 2011, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, you get the same effect, but you get it in less keystrokes/mouse clicks.  That can really add up.

superboyac:
-mouser (October 08, 2011, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows users generally aren't comfortable using a chain of filters.  Everything has to happen in one module.  Some people won't even use a program if it uses more than one process or even a dll(that they notice. When pointed out that most every exe uses one or more Windows system dlls usually a disappointed silence follows.)  Unix based systems have solved most of these issues a long time ago.  But that's why clipboard is there. Have at it. :)

If it was me I'd investigate Windows versions of Linux/Unix stream editors and look for already debugged scripts.

-MilesAhead (October 09, 2011, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dang, this psychology is right on!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version