ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is this a worthwhile idea for a program?

<< < (5/8) > >>

40hz:
mouser, I didn't even realize CHS could do this-superboyac (October 07, 2011, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! Me neither.

Guys, check it out, it's freaking awesome
--- End quote ---

Understatement. Bravo Mouser!

(I really have to stop blathering so much in the forum and start checking out DoCo's software section more carefully. There are some true gems to be found in there.  :-[ )

MilesAhead:
You may be better off using a programmable editor like Vim.-MilesAhead (October 07, 2011, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wish! :) I could do that in EmEditor or UltraEdit as well, seeing as they both come with JavaScript built in. Trouble is, for my specific needs, I work in a highly specialized "vertical" app called Trados (most translators know (of) it; most non-translators don't). Using it is a requirement, and it is actually a good thing, but it lacks certain features. Anyway, I don't have the liberty of using an editor of choice, hence the idea for a sidekick app.

-tranglos (October 07, 2011, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't get it. If you can clipboard stuff out, then paste it back in after transformations, you can paste it into a programmable editor and paste it back?  Maybe I have to be there to see the obstacle.

edit: Maybe that Text Editor Anywhere could bridge the gap between the specialized editor and one of your programmable ones?

rjbull:
I don't get it. If you can clipboard stuff out, then paste it back in after transformations, you can paste it into a programmable editor and paste it back?  Maybe I have to be there to see the obstacle.-MilesAhead (October 07, 2011, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Think of it in terms of streamlined workflow.  As in my earlier post re.: Clippy, mark text, press Ctrl-C, press Clippy hotkey, press Ctrl-V, job done.  Fewer actions than doing the same job via an editor.

mouser:
It's not that hard to see why this kind of operation can save a huge amount of time, compare the two workflows:

I have 10 paragraphs of text, for each one i need to perform some formatting on it (like line wrap to 70 columns).

Method 1: For each section of text (say 10 sections):

* Select it with cursor
* Hit hotkey assigned to formatter.
Method 2: For each section of text (say 10 sections):

* Select it with cursor
* Hit Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard
* Find formatter tool window, click on it
* Clear existing text in it (ctrl+A then delete)
* Paste new clipboard text into it with Ctrl+V
* Activate desired formatting with menu or button
* Select it and Ctrl+C to copy new text to clipboard
* Find previous window
* Ctrl+V to paste the newly formatted text
Which would you rather do over and over?

MilesAhead:
Yes but what's the difference between a "formatting program" and an editor that has a script loaded sitting there waiting for the paste? For all purposes the editor is an interpreter running your "formatting program."

Set it as default in Text Editor Anywhere.  Select text, hit the hotkey. Hit Go to run the script in the editor.  What's the difference?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version