ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is this a worthwhile idea for a program?

<< < (3/8) > >>

rjbull:
Several utilities for modifying clipboard text (as opposed to saving clips) already exist.  Take a look at my post here in anandcoral's thread NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Paste Text Like.  In particular I'd recommend you look at Clippy, for two reasons.  One is that you can already set it up with multiple search-and-replace strings, though I doubt Unicode.  The other is for its streamlined operation.  You mark your text in the usual way, press the Clippy hotkey, then Ctrl-V, and your modified text is pasted back over the marked text.  I found simple and convenient.  You might find it interesting to compare Clippy with your current concepts.

Be aware that the Clippy Web site is often down.  It's a small program, and I've attached it to the referenced post.

mouser:
cough cough..

My Clipboard Help+Spell program can do all of this already.

In addition to what you are asking for (running a user-written script, written in any scripting language; copying text before running script, pasting after it finished), it can also apply a large number of built in operations on text (trimming, adding line numbers, etc.) without using any script.

Plus it will allow you to list your saved transformation operations in a menu that you can trigger, or assign them to specific hotkeys for really quick work.

NOTE: Using scripts is an advanced feature in CHS, and not one heavily documented or used by many people.  But it was set up for exactly this kind of use.

[edit: i should say that because no one ever uses this feature it may be rough around the edges and not very tested.. so i probably need to do a little improvement on it if people actually plan to use it]

ps. CHS runs "scripts" in a very simple way but one that gives most flexibility.  It saves the input text to a temp file, invokes the specified script/executable and passes it temp input file path, desired output file path, and any other arguments.  When the launched script/executable finishes it grabs the output file and puts it back onto clipboard.

rjbull:
mouser, is CHS Unicode, as tranglos requires?

cranioscopical:
no one ever uses this feature-mouser (October 07, 2011, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
But I use your built-in stuff umpteen times a day (and here I use "umpteen" in its pure form).

mouser:
Good point, CHS is *not* unicode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version