ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is this a worthwhile idea for a program?

<< < (2/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
You may be better off using a programmable editor like Vim. The mechanism is already debugged. You may be able to find scripts to do some or all of your substitutions. Windows ports of other Linux tools are available such as sed and nawk.

You could check out the available scripts. If you get stuck you could likely find forums of enthusiasts who tinker with scripts or know where to find more that may help you get over the hurdle.

Windows ports of bash shell are available if you need to pipe the output of one into the input of another. It sounds like the type of task that someone would have automated already.  At least partially.

Curt:
(How does one create a poll?)-tranglos (October 07, 2011, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

tranglos:
(How does one create a poll?)-tranglos (October 07, 2011, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
(see attachment in previous post)
-Curt (October 07, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Curt!

tranglos:
You may be better off using a programmable editor like Vim.-MilesAhead (October 07, 2011, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wish! :) I could do that in EmEditor or UltraEdit as well, seeing as they both come with JavaScript built in. Trouble is, for my specific needs, I work in a highly specialized "vertical" app called Trados (most translators know (of) it; most non-translators don't). Using it is a requirement, and it is actually a good thing, but it lacks certain features. Anyway, I don't have the liberty of using an editor of choice, hence the idea for a sidekick app.

superboyac:
I think it would be a great application, I would use it a lot.

It would be similar to TextMonkey except for being more open and flexible.  Textmonkey has predefined scripts and no ability to change them in any way.  But the rest of the functionality is there as far as reading a clip, processing it, and putting the new clip back in the clipboard.

It's sort of a super-charged find&replace program.  skwire's "list numberer" is also a very specialized version of something like that.  The key point to me is, how do you make something like that easy to use while being flexible enough to be generally appealing?  usually things like this are handled with regex, which nobody really knows how to use, nor would want to use without a gun placed to their head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version