ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommendations For PHP 5.3 Shared Web Host Please?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ehtyar:
The feature I'm after specifically is the openssl_random_pseudo_bytes() function. I'm aware that I could just as easily read from /dev/urandom, but I seem to take a significant performance penalty doing so over the openssl solution, not to mention /dev/urandom is not a platform agnostic as I'd like, and since I'm developing on a Windows box...

However, after the research I've done, this has become more a philosophical issue for me now. In the same way IPv6 is being overtly ignored, so too apparently is 5.3 (try searching for "bluehost php 5.3"). It's not the beefiest revision of PHP on the feature side granted, and the removal of most of the depricated functionality can cause issues, but it's been the current version for over two years! I'm hesitant to invest in a company so willing to kick the can down the road for as long as possible. While I understand the reasoning for not dumping 5.2 in favour of 5.3, there are a multitude of methods for running both versions side-by-side, and I fail to see why 5.3 is being completely ignored in light of this. I barely remember a time when setting up a new instance of PHP didn't mean setting the timezone in php.ini, and here I am finding it likely to be less trouble maintaining my own stack than find a provider that supports the latest version of it, even optionally.

Ehtyar.

db90h:
Yes, the PHP TZ has always been recommended to declare (instead of imply via the server TZ), but unless I'm mistaken it was not until v5.3 that they started throwing warnings if it wasn't explicitly declared.

I *agree* with you, I'm all into v5.3. Since you do *need* v5.3, I have nothing else to say. It also nice to see places that make sure they stay up to date. Of course, some places may do so, but not update their web pages and marketing right away.

I also agree it is a shame server admins don't want to deal with 'upgrade issues', and the resultant effect is old software. I keep the latest stuff on my server, and upgrade whatever I need to, or deal with any issues that pop up. Of course, I care about my server - and am not just using it to host 100 companies I don't care about ... point being, it is easier to want to ignore any non-essential changes when the server isn't your own. And, yea, sure they could install them side by side, let user accounts pick which to use.. but

And IPv6.. I hear ya. I could go on, and on...

mahesh2k:
Ehtyar, host1plus has VPS where you can get PHP 5.3. In fact any host offering VPS and Dedicated plans will allow you to use php 5.3 or any other script depending on your needs.

rgdot:
I was about to post much earlier in this thread but thought it is only shared you are after. VPS offerings will all "allow" 5.3, if they are real (root access, etc.) VPS offerings. Places with good support (knownhost.com for example) will even help if anything is not available out of the box, most likely that include Postgres too

db90h:
I was about to post much earlier in this thread but thought it is only shared you are after. VPS offerings will all "allow" 5.3, if they are real (root access, etc.) VPS offerings. Places with good support (knownhost.com for example) will even help if anything is not available out of the box, most likely that include Postgres too
-rgdot (October 09, 2011, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just BE CAREFUL. Some VPS or even cloud systems that give you full control of your own rooted server are overloaded and/or constrictive restrictive of resource rules. I had a horrible experience on a VPS on time. The first big traffic spike brought it to its knees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version