ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommendations For PHP 5.3 Shared Web Host Please?

<< < (2/4) > >>

JavaJones:
I've heard surprisingly good things about Host Monster in the past. Supports PostgreSQL, but not sure of PHP 5.x version. http://www.hostmonster.com/cgi/info/hosting_features

- Oshyan

mahesh2k:
Hawkhost.com, Host1Plus.com and hostnine.com offers shared hosting with PHP 5.3 and PostgreSQL.

db90h:
I've been through plenty of shared hosts..

Look, here is the trend: Some new shared host opens up. They offer great prices, unlimited everything. They over-commit and exceed their capacity. Services cut back, prices go up, support goes down.

Don't pick any price that sound too good to be true and perhaps you can avoid those that over-load their servers. Of course, even without over-loading, shared servers are subject to more DDoS attacks and such since multiple hosts are on one box.

Ehtyar:
Thanks for your recommendation JavaJones, but they do not support PHP 5.3 at this time.

mahesh2k I was able to confirm that HawkHost and HostNine have PHP 5.3 availble, but I couldn't confirm either way for Host1Plus.

No providers that I've come across so far seem to offer anything particularly outstanding. I'm starting to wonder if another Linode would actually be less work.

Ehtyar.

db90h:
Why do you care about PHP 5.3? It is an incremental update, at best. Nothing important. Any important security fixes have been backported... In fact, many admins don't like v5.3 because it is a bit more strict in some areas (mostly in the time zone no longer being inferred from the server's tz setting by default). Some scripts that haven't been updated will throw lots of warnings or malfunction, though that isn't the norm by any means.

Myself? I *do* use PHP v5.3, found out the hard way I had to specify the TZ setting in php.ini (or at runtime). Unless you have really unusual scripts that depends on some really new stuff in PHP v5.3, I'm sure v5.2 will be more than fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version