ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommendations For PHP 5.3 Shared Web Host Please?

(1/4) > >>

Ehtyar:
Hi all.

[Skip if you're not interested in backstory]So I've been a DreamHost customer for a while (I know, I know) and a new project of mine will be using Postgres, which DH doesn't support. I looked around for a while, and the next best thing seemed to be BlueHost (I know, I know, jeez). I signed up yesterday, uploaded my script and started playing around. Out of the blue I got a "function does not exist" error. Turns out that BlueHost hasn't deployed the two-year-old PHP 5.3 (which is kind of understandable), but worse, don't even have the option to use it. In my naivete I didn't check before signing up, and now I'm stuck with a web host that can't run my code (there are workarounds for the functionality I've used, but that just seems silly to me; I'd prefer to be paying a company that meets my needs rather than the other way around).

I'm now in search of recommendations for shared web hosts that aren't living two years in the past and have deployed PHP 5.3 at least as an option. I'll also need Postgres, but that's somewhat out of the scope of this topic so I'll pursue that avenue myself.

I'm aware that a quick solution to my problem would be to host the site on my Linode, but trying to manage the security, stability and up-to-dateness of Linux, Apache/Nginx, Postgres and PHP is an ordeal I could do without.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful.

Thanks all,

Ehtyar.

40hz:
I have a client that selected GoDaddy (I know, I know!) primarily because they offered up to PHP 5.3.6 on their Linux hosting accounts.

Can't say too much about GD in general. My client really likes them. I'll probably give GD a try with a small project I'm working on since I've heard so much (mostly positive) about them. They're certainly affordable. And it looks like you can pay month to month so it shouldn't be a problem bailing if I decide they're not for me.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar:
Hahaha, given my current track record I can hardly turn my nose up at any suggestion. I'll poke around, thanks Hertz Man!! :D

Ehtyar.

40hz:
^Let me double-check but I think the discount code for a linux hosted plan with GD is linux20 which gets you 20% off.

Ehtyar:
They don't support Postgres, so it's no good for me, but might be fine for others :)

Thanks Hertz Man :)

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version