ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buying a fast new PC, anyone have a favorite US system builder?

<< < (2/3) > >>

JavaJones:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm guessing people here tend to either build their own fancy machines, or just get something a bit more stock/standard from a more major vendor. My primary interest was in finding out about people's preferred system builders, but I think I've got a decent handle on my options at this point. Puget is courting me pretty well still, there's a few hundred dollar price premium, but their OC offering combined with incredible ratings and good customer service vs. the major cheap competition of CyberPower and iBuyPower probably means they'll get my business.

I'll be sure to come back and post details of what I actually end up with, especially in terms of the from-the-factory overclock. They promise 30-45% which could be up to 4.9Ghz on the i7 2600k. Sweet!

- Oshyan

Ath:
I'd be sure to get some kind of guarantee that the system you receive is according to the specs you ordered and expect. Sounds silly maybe, but managing expectations on both sides in any commercial deal can be quite a challenge.
Your requirements are pretty accurate but there's still room for interpretation, and once the system is built and delivered, their interpretation could be "we're done, you pay now", and a conflict is near.

This is another good reason to have a supplier at reasonable traveling distance, if possible, so you can go there and evaluate before delivery. It's top dollar your paying, and a classy system you're expecting, so some 'quality assurance' is required.

40hz:
I'm actually worried that if I put the tower in the adjacent room, it will be too quiet in the room I'm working so I'll then have create a constant background "ambient" noise. Something loud enough to drown out the external sounds but pleasant enough to have on all day - is there anything like that I wonder, music wouldn't be appropriate.
-nudone (October 06, 2011, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

A subdued 'pink noise' generator, possibly with added environmental sounds might work for you. Many people swear by it. Enough that they're popular New Age yuppie boutique items.

Everybody's tastes are different when it comes to ambient sound. My GF is partial to the sound of a running brook. (All that one does to me is step up the number of times I need to use the bathroom.)

I personally find the soft sound my aquarium pump makes very conducive to concentration. Plus I get to look at the pretty fish when my eyes get tired of staring at a screen. Fish tank: Highly recommended!
 :)

cranioscopical:
Something loud enough to drown out the external sounds but pleasant enough to have on all day - is there anything like that I wonder
-nudone (October 06, 2011, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
There is; you need a large diameter cooling device in your machine that emits the sound of applause. Apart from any other benefit, you'll find that it's a big fan of yours.

nudone:
Heheh, 40 and cran, both good suggestions. I didn't realise you could buy pink noise boxes -maybe there's a web streaming station that provides something similar. As for biggest fan, well, that's my mother - and also a source of the background noise I'm trying to drown out.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version