topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Server for my online files  (Read 2667 times)

Thrust

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Server for my online files
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:16 AM »
I am confused on what others say about the security of my online files. My site is hosted on a shared hosting, some say that it has low security for online files. Should I transfer my files on a dedicated server? Any response, would be highly appreciated.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Server for my online files
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:49 AM »
The main reason behind shared hosting is to keep monthly returning fees low.

Biggest disadvantages (in my book):
- You have no control with whom you are sharing
- Their lack of security is your lack of security
- Their use of network bandwidth is your lack of bandwidth.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Who is your host and what is your website about?

If:

• you process payments
  • deal with sensitive political, social, or religious topics
  • host what might be called "adult" material in some jurisdiction somewhere
  • do anything involving minors (games, clubs, etc.)
  • allow users to post files or photos
  • keep any  personal information or records in a private directory on your host's servers

...then only deal with a well-known reputable host provider. They have the infrastructure and security assets to help keep you out of preventable trouble.

If it's just a personal website or blog that doesn't have heavy traffic, or get spiked on a regular basis, it shouldn't matter. Take a look at your traffic logs. That should tell you if you need to move up to dedicated or virtual hosting from shared.

As Shades pointed out, the decision to get a dedicated server is more of a traffic and uptime issue than a security one.

The ultimate quality of your site's security is determined by your host. You can be just as vulnerable with a dedicated server as you can with a shared if your host isn't overly concerned about security. The other part of the formula is YOU. If you're sloppy and careless with your passwords (or configuration settings on a dedicated server), the most secure host service in the world won't be able to protect you.

To recap: if you're concerned about security - get a different host. If you're concerned about traffic, uptime, or quality of web experience - consider a dedicated server.
 8)

P.S. Welcome to DonationCoder! :)

Thrust

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:01 AM »
Thanks for the response. My site is more on sports and also allows user to upload some, pictures on it. I am on hostmysite. but now I am thinking to change my hosting provider, would you recommend such reliable provider? Also I have had a look on this site's review about Bluehost, and their user reviews also seem alright, http://www.webhostin....com/review/bluehost they have dedicated server options, but its quite expensive, What d you think about them? I am a little hesitant to dive in and spend the money, but I know the brand name so assume it would be reliable and safe, or am just getting sucked into their marketing? have you guys used them before, as I said my site has lots of large image files and the bandwidth demands can be quite high

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:54 AM by Thrust »