topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NAS Recommendations?  (Read 66238 times)

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
  • People reckon I'll smash into Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NAS Recommendations?
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Do not count on any NAS product to serve as a proper DLNA server. The CPU/memory power on these devices are so limited that they will highly unlikely be able to transcode much of anything on the fly... they might, at best, demux/remux media streams inside existing media container files.
Get my apps in Android Market! Go droids go! :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2011, 06:37 PM »
So I guess transcodew is the word of the day... LOL  ;D

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage.  I understand some of the software options they add, but really, if it is software you want; buy what you want rather than whatever some company can pawn off as cheaply as possible.  From my understanding, the main purpose of a NAS is to aggregate storage for size and redundancy purposes, neither of which can be done in a single drive solution and only marginally effective for one or the other purpose a dual-drive solution.  I mean is a shared folder solution really that difficult that it is worth the money for the single drive attached to the network?  If it really is, isn't the minimal price difference (not counting the drives) worth the extra expansion room?  Maybe I am just missing something here.  Can someone enlighten me?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage.  I understand some of the software options they add, but really, if it is software you want; buy what you want rather than whatever some company can pawn off as cheaply as possible.  From my understanding, the main purpose of a NAS is to aggregate storage for size and redundancy purposes, neither of which can be done in a single drive solution and only marginally effective for one or the other purpose a dual-drive solution.  I mean is a shared folder solution really that difficult that it is worth the money for the single drive attached to the network?  If it really is, isn't the minimal price difference (not counting the drives) worth the extra expansion room?  Maybe I am just missing something here.  Can someone enlighten me?

+1 there. I would like to know the niche where it makes sense.

I fail to understand 1-drive NAS at all. 2-drive? Well, still seems a bit pointless unless all you want is RAID. And as you mention, a fancy shared folder.

4+ bays seems good. Slot in 8 TB and you can mirror RAID 4 TB, or whatever.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage. 

NAS = "Network Attached Storage". The key there is the "Network". Having a USB-connected drive enclosure doesn't give access to all systems in the house.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage. 

NAS = "Network Attached Storage". The key there is the "Network". Having a USB-connected drive enclosure doesn't give access to all systems in the house.

Yes, but in a house, it's simple enough to setup a share. And in a small office with a server, same thing.

It still seems like overkill for a single drive.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Yes, but in a house, it's simple enough to setup a share. And in a small office with a server, same thing.

Sure, but that mandates that the computer it's attached to has to be left on.  With a straight-up NAS unit, the power consumption is fairly minimal so leaving it on 24/7 usually isn't a big deal.  Also, NAS doesn't have to imply a RAID setup.  So, while single-disk NAS units may not have redundancy, they can still serve a useful purpose.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2011, 04:44 PM »

Sure, but that mandates that the computer it's attached to has to be left on.  With a straight-up NAS unit, the power consumption is fairly minimal so leaving it on 24/7 usually isn't a big deal.  Also, NAS doesn't have to imply a RAID setup.  So, while single-disk NAS units may not have redundancy, they can still serve a useful purpose.

+1.  And that you can stand the extra thrashing from other people accessing your drive.  I've tried having a server set up (or an extra pc).  Too much overhead/maintenance.  I've tried doing the share from one computer.  Makes that one slower.  The only thing that I've found that works for me is having an extra NAS.  I tried it on a small scale with a 320GB Maxtor- and it's great!  And with Maxtor now being Seagate, I'm probably going to go that way.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 04:55 PM »
So has anyone used a Synology NAS?  I see good reviews on them  A little more that the Seagate since it's diskless, but I might be able to swing it and start with one 2TB drive and upgrade later...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 06:14 PM »
After further research, I'm going with the Synology NAS.  Though the Seagate has a drive included, it only has *one* drive bay.  And the processor speed is a lot slower than the Synology.  And I just took a look at the control panel - That's pretty slick!  And the final thing that convinced me is the benchmarks on smallnetbuilder.   I'd not heard of the site, but it has pretty comprehensive coverage of NAS units on that page.

Update: Found two more reviews.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:09 PM by wraith808 »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Just got the Synology in.  I'm using this drive.  So far, no problems getting set up, and the interface is a breeze.  I'm formatting it as one big volume- I'm not sure if that was the right choice, and am second guessing it, but that's just my use, and no slight on the experience.  I opted for the format to check the disk, so it's taking a while- 4.5% done with 1.82TB after 20+ minutes.  My only departures from the recommended settings were to change the name of the server (it defaults to DiskStation), and to use a static IP (as I've found with my other NAS it helps with mapping not using their software).

The only possible hiccup was the installation of the OS; they didn't explicitly give info on where to find it or what to choose- it just popped up a dialog on my first access.  But one of the reviews I linked to above talked about installing the OS, so it wasn't too hard for me to find- I'm not sure if it would have been so smooth had I not read those reviews.

More as it develops.

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38 PM »
G luck setting up your new NAS :)

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I recently built a NAS and ended up using a HP Microserver. Very popular in the UK recently because HP have been running a £100 cashback deal, so the Microserver ends up costing you about £130.

It's small and well-built, officially takes four 3.5" disks but I have installed 5 3.5" plus a fast 2.5" disk as my OS disk. It sips power (with 6 disks, mine idles at 45w).

I used Windows Home Server as an OS (currently about £40), so for £170 plus disks I have a very flexible box. As well as storage it runs programs that need to run 24/7 (my Squeezebox server, for example). One of my best buys recently.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29 AM »
My purchase is on hold for a bit... I'm waiting for the price increases on drives due to the flooding in Thailand to blow over. I got too busy to get out and buy one, then the floods... bad timing. :( Oh well.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35 AM »
I'm waiting for the price increases on drives due to the flooding in Thailand to blow over.

It's worse than just price increases. Our suppliers [1] are actually removing products from our catalog datafeeds. The situation is so bad that they aren't just marking them as backordered, they're saying that these products no longer exist!

[1] I work for a major large account reseller of computer equipment.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 08:56 AM »
I find it frustratingly amusing that companies who manufacture computer components allow themselves to be boxed into a single point of failure by concentrating all their facilities in a single geographic area. Especially when they serve a global market.

If anybody should know better, it's them. Drive manufacturers have been preaching the redundancy and contingency gospel for as long as there's been hard drives.

I've got three clients freaking big time right now. Good luck trying to explain that panic stockpiling will only make the situation worse and play into the hands of the spot-marketeers who are driving up the retail prices.

So it goes... :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:02 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 11:36 AM »
I find it frustratingly amusing that companies who manufacture computer components allow themselves to be boxed into a single point of failure by concentrating all their facilities in a single geographic area. Especially when they serve a global market.

If anybody should know better, it's them. Drive manufacturers have been preaching the redundancy and contingency gospel for as ling as there's been hard drives.

+1 - I've been pondering this one myself ... But had assumed it was due to some rare minerals (geographical) availability. Kinda like the memory shortage from a few years back caused by another natural disaster wiping out most of the countryside where it was all from.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2011, 11:42 AM »
+1 - I've been pondering this one myself ... But had assumed it was due to some rare minerals (geographical) availability. Kinda like the memory shortage from a few years back caused by another natural disaster wiping out most of the countryside where it was all from.

Yes, it is due to a rare resource- money.  At least, that's my perception.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2011, 11:47 AM »

Yes, it is due to a rare resource- money.  At least, that's my perception.

I was actually hoping for a slightly less cynical response ... But I'm with you that one none-the-less. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2011, 06:28 AM »
I recently built a NAS and ended up using a HP Microserver. Very popular in the UK recently because HP have been running a £100 cashback deal, so the Microserver ends up costing you about £130.

I'd like to thank you for mentioning the Microserver, now I can't wait to get one - I just wish HP would run a cashback here, (Australia), $100 off would make the N40L only ~$150 and I'd jump at it.

A very well specced small unit, I'd take it over a dedicated 4-bay NAS any day since:
a) it's cheaper,
b) I can run whatever OS I want to give the features I want without relying on a possible firmware update from the NAS manufacturer, and
c) I can pack 11 drives into it, (5x3.5" + 6x2.5") :)

microserver_fully_populated.jpg

Thanks   :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Jeez... I think I'm glad I've waited. That MicroServer looks slick.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Yes, I'm still happy with mine. Re the hard drives: As I mentioned above I have six drives in mine. I think eleven might be pushing it,  from an air flow point of view. I'd call a halt at eight: four drives in the standard 3.5 bays, and four in the 2.5 caddy in the optical drive slot. Of course, if you don't need the flexibility of having eight disks (for RAID/backup/whatever), it would surely be cheaper to use a big 3.5 drive in the optical slot rather than the four 2.5 inchers. That's what I do, plus I sneak a 2.5 inch drive in behind the optical slot, with little impact on air flow.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Jeez... I think I'm glad I've waited. That MicroServer looks slick.

Plus it comes with a 250GB drive already installed, so let's see....at today's current drive prices.....that must mean that the Microserver itself is only a couple of bucks.....BARGAIN!

:P

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 05:27 AM »
For anyone live in Australia, a great deal has come up from Harris Technology and is available till March 1 AEST:

http://www.ht.com.au...AS-server/detail.hts

Please note this is the upgraded v2 from the original RND4000, essentially the same unit as the one listed on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.co...330514497&sr=8-1

For AUD $248 this is a steal. And one additional big plus for this unit is it supports 3TB drives! So you can have a 12TB NAS for just $248, WTF!

Just ordered it myself from the link above, and it will be my ninth 8TB-12TB NAS appliance. I'm not affiliated with any of the above companies above, just wanna share this great deal.

Product Description:

Netgear RND4000-200 ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Diskless 4-Bay/USB 3.0 Network Storage for Home/SoHo Users - Latest Generation

ReadyNAS NV+
RND4000

Store, Share and Protect Data at Home
Home media sharing has never been easier. In today’s connected world, home and office data is more valuable than ever. Smart small office and home users can now put data in one central location without sacrificing price, performance or quality. The ReadyNAS NV+ can even be used as a private cloud, securely delivering your own music, photos, videos, and documents, anywhere in the world. Equipped with the industry’s first USB 3.0 ports for blazing file transfer and backup rates.

The NETGEAR Difference
Peerless Simplicity

Optimum Price and Performance

Painless Service and Support
Applications
Access music, videos and photos from anywhere

Fast and easy backup target

Private, full resolution photo sharing

Simplicity  
Easy To Use – Complete setup in less than 8 clicks
Expandable – Hot swappable for zero downtime expansion
Manage Remotely – Secure access from mobile devices
Worry Free – Automatic RAID management and migration tool

Performace
Backup Speed – 20% faster backup with industry first USB 3.0 support
Streaming Speed – Media streaming up to 140% faster than home NAS peers

Support
Market Leader – #1 network storage vendor in the world
Unmatched Support – 24x7 support and 3-year warranty
App Library – Active and informative user community on ReadyNAS.com

Management Console

Easy-to-use dashboard
Photo Viewing App

Package Contents
ReadyNAS NV+
4 hard disk trays
Quick Installation Guide
Warranty card
Power adapter
Power cable
Ethernet cable
ReadyNAS Installation CD
ReadyNAS Discovery Utility
CDP (continuous data protection) backup software for Windows and Mac clients
Kensington® lock security hole
Easy carry handle
Dimension: 205 H x 134 W x 223 D mm (8.07 H x 5.28 W x 8.78 D in)
Weight: 4.70 kg (10.35 lb) without disks

Backup
Integrated Backup Manager
Programmable backup button
Backup to/from CIFS/NFS/FTP/HTTP
Backup to/from USB disks
ReadyNAS Vault online backup with subscription option
Bundled backup software: CDP (continuous data protection) backup software for Windows and Mac clients

USB Device Support
USB HDD and flash drives
Printers
UPS monitoring and auto shutdown
   General
ReadyNAS NV+ Network Attached Storage Device
4 Serial ATA channels
Compatible with SATA and SATA II HDD
Hot-swappable trays
10/100/1000 Ethernet
1 USB 2.0 port (front)
2 USB 3.0 ports (back)
256 MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM SO-DIMM
Embedded 64 MB flash memory for OS
Supports Windows, Mac, Linux/UNIX Clients
Setup wizard and easy browser-based interface
NETGEAR Auto-Expandable X-RAID™

Volume Management
Single volume auto expansion (X-RAID2)
Journaled file system
User, group, and share-level quotas

Media Streaming
DLNA Certified media server
Logitech Squeezebox™
Sonos Digital Music Center
Network DVD player compatible
Windows MCE compatible
Sony PlayStation® 3
Microsoft® Xbox 360™
   NETGEAR

Product Description
ReadyNAS NV+ v2 enables Home/SoHo users to create their own private cloud so they can access their music, photos, videos, and documents from anywhere in the world. Twice as fast as the previous generation, ReadyNAS NV+ v2 features a 1.6 GHz processor and two new USB 3.0 ports. It also features a new RAIDiator 5 user interface and an enhanced ReadyNAS Photos II photo-sharing application.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 04:05 AM »
Also for anyone in Australia, (I'm looking at you Renegade), the HP ProLiant Microserver N40L for $221.09, (+ $16.00 to Melbourne), from DessyTek.

Much better than a dedicated NAS because you can run what you like on it.

1000 units on order for April 4th, back orders until then - when they're gone, the price goes up.

Yes, I ordered one.......now the wife will kill me.  :(