ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (11/22) > >>

lotusrootstarch:
Do not count on any NAS product to serve as a proper DLNA server. The CPU/memory power on these devices are so limited that they will highly unlikely be able to transcode much of anything on the fly... they might, at best, demux/remux media streams inside existing media container files.

wraith808:
So I guess transcodew is the word of the day... LOL  ;D

steeladept:
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage.  I understand some of the software options they add, but really, if it is software you want; buy what you want rather than whatever some company can pawn off as cheaply as possible.  From my understanding, the main purpose of a NAS is to aggregate storage for size and redundancy purposes, neither of which can be done in a single drive solution and only marginally effective for one or the other purpose a dual-drive solution.  I mean is a shared folder solution really that difficult that it is worth the money for the single drive attached to the network?  If it really is, isn't the minimal price difference (not counting the drives) worth the extra expansion room?  Maybe I am just missing something here.  Can someone enlighten me?

Renegade:
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage.  I understand some of the software options they add, but really, if it is software you want; buy what you want rather than whatever some company can pawn off as cheaply as possible.  From my understanding, the main purpose of a NAS is to aggregate storage for size and redundancy purposes, neither of which can be done in a single drive solution and only marginally effective for one or the other purpose a dual-drive solution.  I mean is a shared folder solution really that difficult that it is worth the money for the single drive attached to the network?  If it really is, isn't the minimal price difference (not counting the drives) worth the extra expansion room?  Maybe I am just missing something here.  Can someone enlighten me?
-steeladept (October 08, 2011, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 there. I would like to know the niche where it makes sense.

I fail to understand 1-drive NAS at all. 2-drive? Well, still seems a bit pointless unless all you want is RAID. And as you mention, a fancy shared folder.

4+ bays seems good. Slot in 8 TB and you can mirror RAID 4 TB, or whatever.

CWuestefeld:
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage. 
-steeladept (October 08, 2011, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

NAS = "Network Attached Storage". The key there is the "Network". Having a USB-connected drive enclosure doesn't give access to all systems in the house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version