ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steve Jobs is dead.

<< < (24/25) > >>

nosh:
This article has some serious WTF elements.

The Most Anal CEO Ever

Even when he was barely conscious, his strong personality came through. At one point the pulmonologist tried to put a mask over his face when he was deeply sedated. Jobs ripped it off and mumbled that he hated the design and refused to wear it. Though barely able to speak, he ordered them to bring five different options for the mask and he would pick a design he liked. The doctors looked at Powell, puzzled. She was finally able to distract him so they could put on the mask. He also hated the oxygen monitor they put on his finger. He told them it was ugly and too complex. He suggested ways it could be designed more simply. "He was very attuned to every nuance of the environment and objects around him, and that drained him," Powell recalled.
--- End quote ---

I'm going with the "he was delirious" line of thought. :|

Renegade:
The WTF doesn't end there. :)

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/ten-quirky-details-from-the-steve-jobs-bio-20111028-1mmrr.html

Ten quirky details from the Steve Jobs bio

Jobs thought different … about deodorant.
Jobs cared about tiny details, and the best biographies are all about them - the impressionistic traits that really shape your understanding of a whole person. In Jobs's case, one of those would have to be the fact that he spent decades insisting his vegan diet would naturally clear up any body odor issues. All you need is fruit. It was an early but persistent example of what Isaacson calls Jobs's “magical thinking.”
--- End quote ---

It gets wonkier.

JavaJones:
Oh Steve...

Honestly I think it's difficult or impossible to get to where he got without basically being a dick and a weirdo. I have no problem with him having been those things, it just irritates me when people ignore the complexities and give and take in him and see only the good (or the bad, for that matter). Anyway, enough has been said on this.

Jobs was not a programmer by the way, you're thinking of Dennis Richie, responsible for the C programming language, and the following week John McCarthy, "father" of AI and Lisp. Both died recently, both arguably as influential as Jobs (in other, less visible ways), neither garnered 1/100th the media attention.

But I mostly just wanted to say hooray for James Burke. :D

- Oshyan

40hz:
It gets wonkier.
-Renegade (October 29, 2011, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

And progressively harder to believe in some places.

But then again, this is from the authorized biography. So I'd expect a there was a certain amount of 'design' that went into it. Like so many other biographies.

In the immortal words of Huckleberry Finn:

"You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter. That book was made by Mr. Mark Twain, and he told the truth, mainly. There was things which he stretched, but mainly he told the truth."   from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
 8)

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

My dad ripped off the junk the nurses put on him at the hospital, and walked out, and although he did not suggest design improvements, I will sympathize with Steven Jobs on that one.  (My pop is 97.)

The situation with his health program and the pancreatic cancer is complicated.  From what I understand he bypassed the more radical treatments (think Gerson therapy or Nicholas Gonzalez) .. and by going for the liver transplant he basically compromised any possibilities, because of the immune suppressing drugs that go with the transplant to prevent rejection.  

Why did he get the cancer in the first place if he was trying to eat healthy ? Difficult question. 

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version