ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steve Jobs is dead.

<< < (22/25) > >>

IainB:
This is an interesting thread, as it shows that many people seem to have applied a lot of their mental attention and cognitive surplus to the subject (Steve Jobs). It may be true, as @wraith808 says:
apparently his 'reality distortion field' goes both ways, as it seems that some can't see the negative, and some can't see the positive.  Few are completely either, and IMO, he doesn't fall into that few.
--- End quote ---

I am embarrassed to admit that I know virtually nothing about SJ except that he seems to have been involved with Apple, was probably a millionaire, and was highly regarded as an entrepreneur/marketing guru for Apple.

I learned more about him only lately though. I was surprised to read in a post elsewhere yesterday that someone had died (I forget who, but he was apparently a well-known programmer) and that this was the "2nd loss of a great programmer in a week" or something like that - referring to Steve Jobs, anyway. I had not known that SJ was a great programmer, though that seems to be a subject of some debate in this thread.

I was also surprised to read in some of the market hype that has been released/leaked preceding the publication of his biography that his biographer claimed that SJ was quite happy to rip people (customers) off from a monopoly position, and hated Android/Google and said he "would fight Android with his last dying breath" - OWTTE.
If that was all true, then it sounds like the poor guy was not in a happy place in his head. I can only try to imagine what it must feel like to have that sort of greed, aggression, hate and anger boiling up inside me. Not healthy at any rate. Probably all useful characteristics in a businessman though, I suppose.
I also read that the litigation v. Android is already underway. Apple will certainly miss his driving force. SJ's death seems to have  left a sort of psychic vacuum, and Apple may find it more difficult to carry his legacy of that litigation forward without the impetus of his psychogenic and emotional energy.

kfitting:
I'm going to bow out at this point, because apparently his 'reality distortion field' goes both ways, as it seems that some can't see the negative, and some can't see the positive.  Few are completely either, and IMO, he doesn't fall into that few.

And one last point I'll add- most people can't say that they truly innovated *anything* without dependence on *any* other technologies, so take that for what its worth.
-wraith808 (October 26, 2011, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two very insightful comments!  (and in some circumstances, possibly inciteful)  Thanks wraith.

Renegade:
And one last point I'll add- most people can't say that they truly innovated *anything* without dependence on *any* other technologies, so take that for what its worth.
-wraith808 (October 26, 2011, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are few true giants out there, and everyone else stands on their shoulders.

I would put Descartes, Liebniz, Pascal, Einstein, Tesla, and a few others in the category of true giants. But still, even their works relied on past math and science.

But let's have a quick question...

Why does this debate/argument/whatever NOT happen for other CEOs like Larry Ellison or Bill Gates?

If all Apple devices suddenly and magically disappeared from the planet, not much would happen. If all Oracle and Microsoft products disappeared, the planet would grind to a halt very quickly. It would be a disaster of biblical proportions.

Yet, nobody ever talks about Ellison or Gates...

IainB:
I don't think Ellison or Gates have croaked yet, have they?

Renegade:
I don't think Ellison or Gates have croaked yet, have they?
-IainB (October 27, 2011, 12:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahah~!

No, but even with Jobs still alive, you never heard any kind of banter about them like you did for Jobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version