Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 23, 2014, 11:34:03 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Jobs is dead.  (Read 20639 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »

Following up on the RMS post, here's one by Eric Raymond:
http://www.muktware.com/news/2623

Its time to get out of the RDF (reality distortion field) created by Steve Jobs and admit the truth, which even if bitter is truth.

Nicely put.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2011, 02:53:11 AM »

Obviously we are heading for Apple's version of the Rapture ... when all Apple device will be fused to their owners and a mere twitch of an eyelash will inform all of your friends of your exact location and which app they should buy next off the app store ...

Oh no - South Park is coming true ...

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »

Okay so we're well past the 3 day mark ... Shouldn't he be back by now??
Is that the third coming... Or the fourth Reich?

- carpe noctem
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »

Okay so we're well past the 3 day mark ... Shouldn't he be back by now??
Is that the third coming... Or the fourth Reich?

Yes... Wink
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »

That's assuming the vertical orientation is correct ...

rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »

That's assuming the vertical orientation is correct ...

Grin
rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »

That gives me an idea

iAfterlife  Wink
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »

I'm looking at how moses is holding onto those tablets and I think I can see the problem...

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »

That gives me an idea

iAfterlife  Wink

Packaged as a gift set just-in-time for christmas with the iDied.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »

The iDied is surgically implanted and remains dormant until you keel over. Then it automatically activates the iAfterLife and you're transported to an apple wonderland paradise.

The trick of course is you have to keel over before the battery does...
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »

And since it won't be user serviceable....
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »

Then it automatically activates the iAfterLife and you're transported to an apple wonderland paradise.

Shouldn't you mean the Garden of Eden where you can feast upon apples  Wink

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2011, 04:38:10 AM »

mrgreen

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »

From the blog post Snipers... about sums up my feelings on the subject...

Some NSFW language behind the cut

Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »

Don't have to like the guy, but if you don't respect what he accomplished, you are missing a critical piece of your brain ...

Nothing's missing from my brain, truth is I don't respect what he accomplished because I don't respect how he accomplished it.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »

Don't have to like the guy, but if you don't respect what he accomplished, you are missing a critical piece of your brain ...

Nothing's missing from my brain, truth is I don't respect what he accomplished because I don't respect how he accomplished it.

I'm split. Part of me has to give him credit for a lot of what he did. Another part of me has to give him credit in the same way that I'd give Pol Pot credit for his "accomplishments".

As for respect, well... The first part there, sure. The second, not so much.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
kfitting
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »

For me the problem is the extremes: Jobs was very good at what he did and revolutionized tech... he's not perfect, and he's not evil.  I try to stay in the middle (which has it's own pitfalls).  I did find this CNN piece interesting though:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/26/short-takes-are-we-turning-steve-jobs-into-a-saint/?hpt=hp_c2
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »

Jobs was very good at what he did and revolutionized tech... marketing

FTFY smiley
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »

There's a difference between the accomplishment and the business behind the accomplishment.  People seem to discard the one for the other.  I don't think we'd be where we are with smartphones, tablets, nor music players if not for these accomplishments.  It's not as if he was responsible for any of the innovations- but the design behind the implementations that Apple utilized pushed the market because they were able to see financial feasibility in the concepts.  To ignore that is to throw the baby out with the bathwater IMO.

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »

Jobs was very good at what he did and revolutionized tech... marketing

FTFY smiley

It wasn't just marketing- people say that all the time.  But look at it objectively, and one can see that it wasn't *just* the marketing.  At least IMO.

Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »

True, he also robbed a lot of other people ideas and claimed they were his.

He was famous for taking all the credit.

Apple's famous designer, Jonathan Ive, was frustrated because Steve was constantly taking credit for his ideas.  It was a recurring problem, with incredibly talented executives complaining that Jobs took all the credit for Apple's game-changing innovations.  "I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas," Ive said.  "So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »

True, he also robbed a lot of other people ideas and claimed they were his.

He was famous for taking all the credit.

Apple's famous designer, Jonathan Ive, was frustrated because Steve was constantly taking credit for his ideas.  It was a recurring problem, with incredibly talented executives complaining that Jobs took all the credit for Apple's game-changing innovations.  "I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas," Ive said.  "So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."

And again, this is baby/bathwater situation.  Not even taking into account that we are on the outside, and this is basically he said/she said kind of stuff (not saying if its true or not), the point is that the company under his leadership *was* responsible for the energizing of the tablet market that Microsoft had been trying to get mainstream for 10 years at the time the iPad came out, and similar things happened with the phone and the music player.  But I suppose that doesn't mean anything?

Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »

Can somebody point at one device Apple has produced that wasn't based on an existing product or products?

Sorry his genius was repackaging, re-badging, marketing, stealing ideas and then suing the originator for patent infringement.

If there is one true achievement Jobs and his empire can claim it is the current state of patent laws.

Here are some examples:

• Xerox/Wimp/Gem => MacOS
  • BSD => current MacOS foundation + skin to look like old MacOS
  • Hardware originally designed for Windows machines => 1/2 generation behind the times to avoid cutting edge issues = Mac PCs/Macbooks
  • A multitude of MP3 players and online MP3 download sites => iPod
  • A multitude of smart phones and handheld computers => iPhone => iPad

40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

Can somebody point at one device Apple has produced that wasn't based on an existing product or products?

No. There aren't any.

Sorry his genius was repackaging, re-badging, marketing, stealing ideas and then suing the originator for patent infringement.

If there is one true achievement Jobs and his empire can claim it is the current state of patent laws.

+1! Apple was the first business AFAICT that tried to get around the rule you couldn't patent an idea by creating the legal fiction that eventually came to be known as the "look & feel" argument when they accused Microsoft of copying an Apple 'innovation' (i.e. resizeable and moveable windows) which Apple had wholly lifted from Xerox PARC.

Years later, Jobs would claim to have paid Xerox $1 for the use of their desktop concept. But apparently no record survived of that deal. Or at least not enough of a record to prevent Xerox from suing Apple for stealing PARC's ideas several years after the Macintosh came out.

So it goes...undecided
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:16:28 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.06 ]