topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... a used Web page identifier  (Read 3691 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... a used Web page identifier
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Seems as though I saw reference to such a while back.  Thought it was here, but haven't found it  :(.

I'm looking for an application or script that will identify all unused  :o pages on a Website.  Something like a reverse site map  :-\.  This could be done with a site map, I suppose, but it would be a very time-consuming process, I fear  :huh:.

Any of you folk know of such?  Or, perhaps, a reasonably speedy method to accomplish that end?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... a used Web page identifier
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:41 PM »
See if Xenu's Link Sleuth will meet your needs.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:42 PM »
It sounds like you want a web log analyzer. There are MANY out there.

Basically, just run it, then look for pages with zero visits. (That's what you're looking for when you say "unused", right?)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Basically, just run it, then look for pages with zero visits. (That's what you're looking for when you say "unused", right?)

Well-l-l-l ... not exactly.  Here's the problem:  pages no longer in use or referenced.  Xenu shows too much, e.g., Xenu will show every reference to a bad link, even though that link is only bad on one (1) or two (2) pages:  the link is still valid from other pages.  Obviously, there's not cause to delete the pages with that particular bad link.

However, there are pages, even folders, that are no longer in use  :huh:.  Those are the pages/directories we'd like to delete.  However runnin' 'em all down is labor- and time-intensive, as well as being prone to inadvertent error  :o.

Basically, this is a non-trivial task.  I disbelieve that this is the first time it has ever cropped up, and I'm reasonably certain someone much smarter than me has created a means to ease the process.  I'm lazy, so I just want to find that means  :P.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Ah... ok. I think I know what you mean. The proper term for it is "an orphaned page". That is, a page that exists on the site, but has no links to it, and hence, no way to get to it, and hence, is "unused". Is that about right?

I don't know any software that I can recommend, but if you search with "orphaned page" or "orphan page", that should point you in the right direction to get what you're looking for.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Yep, orphaned would pretty well cover it.  Haven't searched with that particular term, but similar searches have turned up nil.  I'll give that one (1) a try, see what transpires on the SERPs.  Thanks for the suggestion.