ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RIOT tool that respects folder hierarchy? (for JPEG compression?)

<< < (3/7) > >>

dcsev:
I tried your tool vlastimil. It didn't do anything.  I tried dragging folder/folder structure Nothing.  Just folder structure  and nothing.  Pictures only and nothing.

Name is PhotoResizeP100ICRSOQ85.exe  and PhotoResizeP100IMRSOEQ85.exe

I tried both and neither worked. Am I doing something wrong?  I am dragging folders with jpeg files inside.

UPDATE:  when I remove "Skip smaller" option, it worked.   Will I be able to tell the difference in quality between two images? With RIOT, I really cannot.

dcsev:
I tried comparing the file sizes/quality.   I really want to use your app vlastimil.  It would serve me TREMENDOUSLY and is exactly what I am looking for. 

I tried using your tool and RIOT still gave me better file sizes.  Could you replicate the best setting/file name for me?  If I use "skip smaller" option, it doesn't do anything.

vlastimil:
You are right, the 'skip smaller' option does not make sense in this case (the final image dimensions do not change and so the tool skipped all files, because they had the correct dimensions). If you want smaller file sizes, change the number at the end - instead of Q85, try Q75 or even smaller numbers and run the tests. That number controls the compression quality, the lower the number, the smaller file sizes and lower quality.

dcsev:
vlastimil,
Thanks for the clarification regarding the skip smaller feature.

I think where I am having difficult and need your help desperately is to find the "sweet spot" for JPEG optimization.   Am I wrong to assume that RIOT has some magic algorithim for quality/size ratio?

These are the settings:

0. I do NOT want to mess with the dimensions!!
1. Remove all meta dataa (EXIF, comments, etc)
2. 75% quality
3. Chroma subsampling 4:1:1 (????)
4. Standard optimize (not progressive)
5. Preserve file modification date

This is the name that I got: PhotoResizeP100ICROEG.exe
PhotoResizeP100ICROEG.exe

Please confirm if this is the correct name matching what I got. I am going to do some basic tests and compare file sizes/quality

dcsev:
Okay I finished the tests

test 1 Photoresizer: 473 MB (496,117,161 bytes)
test 2 - RIOT folder:  470 MB (493,519,346 bytes)

Quality is pretty much the same. Minor difference in some pixels when flipping back and forth repeatedly between pictures, but overall I am very pleased.

This is the tool I was looking for now and makes it really easy to process my stuff!!!! thank you so much!

Now if there was only one for video ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version