ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

*sigh* Facebook is more of a cancer than Google (Rant but not mine)

(1/1)

Paul Keith:
I've always wanted to rant about Facebook but was too lazy to type it out so thankfully someone indirectly posted something I wanted to say. This is definitely not new but what the heck, anytime I can copy paste and indirectly misquote someone because they are saying something close to what I wanted to say, it's a plus:

*sigh* Facebook is more of a cancer than Google (Rant but not mine)
You know how it goes. Facebook changes anything, and everybody and his wife switch into combative mode, denouncing Facebook for its heavy-handedness, lack of common sense and unbridled arrogance. Yet, if given half the chance to implement such a change on their very own sites or blogs then they trip over themselves to do it.

And Facebook has been particularly active the last couple of weeks, so it's only fair to assume that we're going to see lots of web apps in the days to come. Web apps, and also Wordpress themes like this one. As its name implies, it lets bloggers replicate the much-discussed timeline that Facebook will begin rolling in the days to come.
--- End quote ---

Read more: http://www.killerstartups.com/Blogging-Widgets/timeline-wp-com-timeline-theme-for-wordpress#ixzz1Zn2koqxP

daddydave:
I was looking forward to a good rant, but what you linked seems to have nothing bad to say about it. At least I'm not sensing any irony in statements like

And it's all done frankly right, with any blogger being able to ape Facebook's latest redesign in an effortless way

--- End quote ---

He even says:
You know how it goes. Facebook changes anything, and everybody and his wife switch into combative mode, denouncing Facebook for its heavy-handedness, lack of common sense and unbridled arrogance. Yet, if given half the chance to implement such a change on their very own sites or blogs then they trip over themselves to do it.

--- End quote ---

Translation: Stop whining about Facebook, it just means you want to be Facebook. :o

Paul Keith:
Yeah, it's kind of iffy if you let the person "be the person" seeing as Killer Startups aren't exactly going to criticize a startup.

If you assume I misquoted it though and I was ranting...well it has everything from hints to why Facebook deserves to exist kind of like how cancer cells aren't necessarily a disease (it did save us from MySpace) and yet at the same time it's the worst virus/viral phenomenon that ever existed. MySpace didn't make people want to copy MySpace code beyond it's url. Nothing on this planet infects the world quite like Facebook. Not even 4chan's b ever did. Facebook taught Google it was ok to ask names and personal data up front. Facebook taught blogs that they should have a commenting system with little fonts and a like button. Facebook is the first ever social phenomena that knows how to teach these:

everybody and his wife switch into combative mode, denouncing Facebook for its heavy-handedness, lack of common sense and unbridled arrogance.
--- End quote ---

but also for it's own survival teaches this:

Yet, if given half the chance to implement such a change on their very own sites or blogs then they trip over themselves to do it.
--- End quote ---

...and that's the worst part about it. Facebook is good. It's simplistically innovative. It's one of the few services that have a business model and is set to force Google to come and move to them if their current social network attempt fails yet again but it's also horrible. For some reason, it teaches the web to never move on from what Facebook brings. (Oh God! Just the explanation of why that piece represents all I've ever wanted to rant about is making me rant)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version