Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 27, 2014, 07:09:10 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Server for my online files  (Read 890 times)
Thrust
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »

I am confused on what others say about the security of my online files. My site is hosted on a shared hosting, some say that it has low security for online files. Should I transfer my files on a dedicated server? Any response, would be highly appreciated.
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:49:34 AM »

The main reason behind shared hosting is to keep monthly returning fees low.

Biggest disadvantages (in my book):
- You have no control with whom you are sharing
- Their lack of security is your lack of security
- Their use of network bandwidth is your lack of bandwidth.

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »

Who is your host and what is your website about?

If:

• you process payments
  • deal with sensitive political, social, or religious topics
  • host what might be called "adult" material in some jurisdiction somewhere
  • do anything involving minors (games, clubs, etc.)
  • allow users to post files or photos
  • keep any  personal information or records in a private directory on your host's servers

...then only deal with a well-known reputable host provider. They have the infrastructure and security assets to help keep you out of preventable trouble.

If it's just a personal website or blog that doesn't have heavy traffic, or get spiked on a regular basis, it shouldn't matter. Take a look at your traffic logs. That should tell you if you need to move up to dedicated or virtual hosting from shared.

As Shades pointed out, the decision to get a dedicated server is more of a traffic and uptime issue than a security one.

The ultimate quality of your site's security is determined by your host. You can be just as vulnerable with a dedicated server as you can with a shared if your host isn't overly concerned about security. The other part of the formula is YOU. If you're sloppy and careless with your passwords (or configuration settings on a dedicated server), the most secure host service in the world won't be able to protect you.

To recap: if you're concerned about security - get a different host. If you're concerned about traffic, uptime, or quality of web experience - consider a dedicated server.
 Cool

P.S. Welcome to DonationCoder! smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Thrust
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:01:11 AM »

Thanks for the response. My site is more on sports and also allows user to upload some, pictures on it. I am on hostmysite. but now I am thinking to change my hosting provider, would you recommend such reliable provider? Also I have had a look on this site's review about Bluehost, and their user reviews also seem alright, http://www.webhostingsearch.com/review/bluehost they have dedicated server options, but its quite expensive, What d you think about them? I am a little hesitant to dive in and spend the money, but I know the brand name so assume it would be reliable and safe, or am just getting sucked into their marketing? have you guys used them before, as I said my site has lots of large image files and the bandwidth demands can be quite high

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:54:42 AM by Thrust » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.01 ]