Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 30, 2014, 08:52:50 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How many slaves work for you?  (Read 3678 times)
tranglos
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »

This is really educational:
http://slaveryfootprint.org/

Caveat: the survey doesn't work for me in Firefox 3.6.x or the latest IE. Only Chrome worked, and it still took some patience. But it's definitely worth it.

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »

Looks like it's just a way to get people to voluntarily give up demographic information.

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »

It seemed to work fine in Opera. The postal code thingy didn't work though.

It has some very sexy effects though.

On the content side, well, sigh... can't disagree. Mines in Africa for raw materials for phones need guns just as much as any other tool. What does that say?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »

I thought it would end up giving a ridiculous result - like anyone who's ever lifted a finger in creating anything I own... in the thousands.  But it gave me a 2 digit number. Made me pause...  Sad
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:27:26 PM »

Finished it in Chrome. Wouldn't work in Opera at #5.

Scored 24.

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:41:49 AM »

A breakdown of how the different areas affected the total would have been nice. I'd be particularly curious as to the human costs behind the cheap high-tech gadgets we so enjoy.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »

Dang. It died at the "What's on your plate" question. (Chrome)

- zaine (on Google+)
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »

Dang. It died at the "What's on your plate" question. (Chrome)

And that's why I'm such a massive fan of X/HTML/5/JavaScript/CSS wankology... Sigh... NOT!

Hey, let's build sexy CRUD.

Ahem... crud is very much like crap...

But I digress.

I'm not too surprised though.

Still, I did like the sexiness! If it were only reliable, I'd be on board right quick.

So... Is anyone else going to post their scores?

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »

Mine was 31, but I couldn't really get fill out the food one acccuratly I felt, that's why I'd have loved to see a break down of the different sections.

Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »

Ahem... crud is very much like crap...

With the obvious distinction being that crap is occasionally extremely useful.

cheesy

Also, I'm on the fence about taking this one as I agree with Deozaan
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »

On a side note- I noticed a little flicker then it skipped - it seemed like the skipped page said something about how many times have you paid for sex...?  Anyone else see that?

Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:34:32 PM »

That 42? Grin

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »

On a side note- I noticed a little flicker then it skipped - it seemed like the skipped page said something about how many times have you paid for sex...?  Anyone else see that?

Damn you, now I gotta take the silly test (when I get home) just to see where they go with that question. Although I'd tend to disagree if they count paying for it as a slave against you. It should be a 1 slave credit for being a slave (yourself) to your own proclivities.
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »

I was wondering how long before someone said something about that.  Grin

Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »

I was wondering how long before someone said something about that.
Some 42 twiddlies Grin

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

Damn you, now I gotta take the silly test (when I get home) just to see where they go with that question. Although I'd tend to disagree if they count paying for it as a slave against you. It should be a 1 slave credit for being a slave (yourself) to your own proclivities.

They don't count it in the total, they just point out that the sex-industry is largely based on exploitation of women rather than empowerment. That's probably true, but without getting into a political discussion, there are some regulated sex industries out there which do work, so the site not counting it one way or another feels correct to me.

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »

They don't count it in the total, they just point out that the sex-industry is largely based on exploitation of women rather than empowerment. That's probably true, but without getting into a political discussion, there are some regulated sex industries out there which do work, so the site not counting it one way or another feels correct to me.

Sounds fair enough ... Unfortunately I can't get the page to load now. I tried both IE9 which loaded page 1 at the office but now wont, and FF7 (portable) which stopped in the same place. So I don't know if it is a site issue or just my currently shit and about to be kicked to the curb Centurylink DSL acting up again.

Talk about cruel anticipation ... There's a roll of fiber coming off the pole coiled up by the side of my house right now. But! ...It's not scheduled to be finalized until Friday afternoon. sssSooo Close.... Gaaaaaaaaaa!
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 07:01:38 PM »

The site isn't working quite right. There is the side panel that pops out so you can fine tune it. I fine tuned everything it would allow, to be as accurate as possible. That means I adjusted it to show that I do NOT own a BR/DVD player and disks for it. Nor do I own a game console with 5 games (I didn't count the Atari that was bought second hand back in the 80's, and I don't think that's what they had in mind when they made the site)

And the pillows I use are made by ME, from recycled materials (am I a slave to myself?)

I also don't think that it takes into consideration where I live when analyzing my answers for "What's on your plate?" I think it just records that I live in the US, and not really where in the US. I live in the Garden State and it is called that for a reason. Local produce is cheaper than imported, and cheaper than produce from other states. Most of the farms here are small family owned and members of farming co-ops. If they are using slaves, it's likely they are exploiting their own family members. And I don't see that as any different than expecting your kids to do chores around the house or a pizzeria owner having one of their kids make boxes and the other take phone orders after school, unless they are overdoing it.

That said, my score was 21.

Krishean
Honorary Member

I like pie

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »

I don't think its very accurate at all, although most of my answers were "that looks about right, I don't care that much." I picked whatever the most gadgets was and the rest was fairly minimalistic, that said I got a 22, even with the ridiculous amount of tech surrounding me, I'm still in the same range as app103 and Renegade? Also, I used chrome and found the amount of effects used somewhat unnecessary.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.208s | Server load: 0.9 ]