ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Massive Security Vulnerability In HTC Android phones

<< < (3/4) > >>

tranglos:
I like HTC devices, indeed all my smartphones tend to be HTC.-Eóin (October 02, 2011, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a common case of YMMV. Sensation looks really great on paper, and pretty good in reviews, but in practice it's just not a good phone. I can understand some bugs in the OS and the attendant software, but the issues I've had really turned me off. At one point it stopped playing text message notification sound and only a hard reset (i.e., wipe all user data) restored it.

USB connection to the 'puter hardly ever works - you connect it and nothing happens, regardless of settings. It takes about two minutes (!) to establish connection, but often it never connects. When it does connect, it resets (crashes) on disconnect. So forget about using it as your primary music player, transferring files is just too annoying.

I live in a busy city, where coverage is perfect. Put the phone on the table, get four bars (max). Pick it up, display drops to 1 (one) bar. Go somewhere less populated, and I have to reach for my old Nokia to make a call.

The Sensation is the first phone I've ever had that drops calls. When it does connect, sound quality is poor, and too often I can only hear every second word that's spoken on the other end.

It's good for browsing the net (but don't hold it in your hand when you do!), but it's a really poor phone. Easily the worst I've ever had.

YMMV.

Ath:
I live in a busy city, where coverage is perfect. Put the phone on the table, get four bars (max). Pick it up, display drops to 1 (one) bar. Go somewhere less populated, and I have to reach for my old Nokia to make a call.

The Sensation is the first phone I've ever had that drops calls. When it does connect, sound quality is poor, and too often I can only hear every second word that's spoken on the other end.
-tranglos (October 03, 2011, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
In such case I'd go back to the shop/service provider, and have the phone replaced, it sounds like it's faulty.

tranglos:
In such case I'd go back to the shop/service provider, and have the phone replaced, it sounds like it's faulty.
-Ath (October 03, 2011, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I could only have it serviced under warranty, but it's the design that's faulty. The back metal plate serves as the antenna and it just plain doesn't work.

Renegade:
I have an HTC Desire HD, and so far it's been good. Mind you, I'm on Vodaphone, and they're well known for blowing hard, so I attribute the suckiness in connections to Vodaphone, and not the HTC.

It's not perfect, but so far it's ok.

Mind you, my cheapo Nokia is the best phone for reliability that I've ever had. Awesome battery life. Turned it on after 6 months in storage, and it fired right up.

For the security vulnerability... sigh... I can't say I'm all that surprised.

Eóin:
Here's a followup from HTC

HTC Public Statement:

HTC takes claims related to the security of our products very seriously. In our ongoing investigation into this recent claim, we have concluded that while this HTC software itself does no harm to customers’ data, there is a vulnerability that could potentially be exploited by a malicious third-party application. A third party malware app exploiting this or any other vulnerability would potentially be acting in violation of civil and criminal laws. So far, we have not learned of any customers being affected in this way and would like to prevent it by making sure all customers are aware of this potential vulnerability.

HTC is working very diligently to quickly release a security update that will resolve the issue on affected devices. Following a short testing period by our carrier partners, the patch will be sent over-the-air to customers, who will be notified to download and install it. We urge all users to install the update promptly.  During this time, as always, we strongly urge customers to use caution when downloading, using, installing and updating applications from untrusted sources.-http://www.xda-developers.com/android/official-announcement-by-htc-regarding-security-vulnerability/
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version