topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blogger has a new Dynamic View  (Read 4382 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Blogger has a new Dynamic View
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:59 AM »

App has been telling me to switch to Blogger for awhile and I've been skeptical of Google's history to maintain abandonupdates service and was doubtful whether Google still has their interest in blogs but kudos to them for trying out something risky like this.

Especially the flip card view. When I first started out blogging, this was the theme I was hoping to find but could never nail down as far as free themes went. (although to be fair I'd prefer the flip card to at least show some meatier contents like headers, text previews, # of comments and the like but it seems this theme is often targeted towards photobloggers and so I'll just hope one day there comes a point when it's tailored more for text posts).

Already there's a commentor who praised Google for improving upon Facebook's Timeline with Timeslide. Here's to Google continuing to innovate and challenge the status quo rather than being the status quo themselves. (I know not everyone is probably going to be a fan of this. Personally it is definitely confusing on the comment detection side of things but the feature really is something that you would expect more out of Posterous than Google. It's like the world became topsy turvy.)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:08 AM by Paul Keith, Reason: My mistake. Apparently # of comments is shown in the flip card »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blogger has a new Dynamic View
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12 AM »
I liked the music. :)

Some of the views look useful, but some just looked "nifty" and difficult to navigate. The Sidebar one looked useful.

It seems like all of the themes revolve around people posting a lot of pictures though. They were really thumbnail heavy. Not really all that useful for me, but I can see it being spot on for a lot of people.

Still, got to hand it to them - they've done something nifty there. I wonder how it will work/break with themes though.

Have you tried it?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Not yet and unfortunately not planning to until the fog starts to clear up. (No blog post to test it out on + my drafts are on a free wordpress.com already)

I just really love that Google tried something outrageous like this. It may have come post-Facebook stupidity but for them to really "get" what true niftiness is and for this to be the first time that Google have outdone Facebook at something...I just couldn't contain myself when I first saw this post and had to share it.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Here's to Google continuing to innovate and challenge the status quo rather than being the status quo themselves. (I know not everyone is probably going to be a fan of this.

They challenge the status quo ? i thought they want the traffic routed through their servers and that is why they come up with almost every web service possible. They just create competitive service to kill the business who bring the concept in the market.

Google dynamic view was created to beat tumblr as tumblr's popularity is growing charts these days. By the way what facebook has to do with blogging ?  :huh:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00 PM »
While these new template views may be fun and fresh, they do not take into consideration that blogs are not nothing but a series of posts. They do not consider sidebar and footer content such as blogrolls, link lists, custom widgets, and advertising (unless you are using Adsense inserted through Blogger itself).

I thought about switching a few of my blogs that have a heavy reliance on images to one of these new views, but then decided against this when I realized what I would be losing. I would have to convert a lot of stuff to pages in order to retain the features, and some of that stuff wouldn't work well as pages.

I tried all my blogs with their little tool and some I was pleasantly surprised at how well most of the new views worked for them, but others that were more text or video based didn't do so well. And older blogs from the pre-Google days fared even worse, since most of the images were uploaded to an external site (Pyra didn't allow uploading) and their thumbnails do not show on older posts (only images uploaded directly to Blogger will show). I would have to go back and edit all those posts, re-uploading all the images, or thumbnails would abruptly stop showing before a certain post date.

By the way what facebook has to do with blogging ?  :huh:

For a lot of people, Facebook is an alternative to having a blog, and it is blogging in the same way having a LiveJournal is blogging. In fact, many of the original members actually came from LiveJournal because Facebook offered the same kind of privacy controls they had become used to, that would allow them to control who got to read their posts. Facebook also has a Notes feature that allows longer form posts, with a little more control over text formatting.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Here's to Google continuing to innovate and challenge the status quo rather than being the status quo themselves. (I know not everyone is probably going to be a fan of this.

They challenge the status quo ? i thought they want the traffic routed through their servers and that is why they come up with almost every web service possible. They just create competitive service to kill the business who bring the concept in the market.

Google dynamic view was created to beat tumblr as tumblr's popularity is growing charts these days. By the way what facebook has to do with blogging ?  :huh:

Timeslides/Timeline.

You don't have to be the underdog to challenge the status quo.

The key to promoting innovation is, as you said, when Google "creates" "competitive" services.

This never kills competition because, then, newer start-ups have a better idea of what has been offered and could then build upon that. This in turn builds up better services.

Not only that, this won't beat Tumblr. app has pretty much highlighted many of the problems which is why it's admirable that Google would try something like this in light of many of the obvious problems.

It's often not what the big guys are building that creates the status quo, it's when the big guys are destroying innovation whether it is from buying out services and then phasing them out, or from training consumers to settle for the same product via filling the web with clones of popular services in a blind attempt to cash in on popular competitors (The latter being what you are referring to as opposed to your initial sentence of when big businesses create "competitive" services) that Google kills innovators and innovation.

In this case, Google has the potential of opening up a key important perspective which is multiple views. Did they create this with the intention to compete with Tumblr? Irrelevant. This time unlike Google's attempt with FB clone, Google is not serving up the same dish as Tumblr. They are opening up a new thing. This time, they are competing not just cloning or stealing. This time, regardless of whether this concept may have existed before or not, Google is attempting to build a "better" Blogger (their current service with their users) rather than attempting to create something new in order to "steal" Tumblr's thunder. This time they are just as much competing via taking care of their own people (their Blogger userbase) and not simply competing via starting an argument with the next door neighbor through creating a local copycat.

Whether this new thing pans out or not is still up in the air (currently I don't see it panning out) ...but at least it's starting to compete via providing something different again by inching in on a potential new recipe rather than just trying to build a Google branded pie.

It's these attempts that have always gotten Google to where they are as opposed to the Google you describe as hating, and I think it deserves praising even more so than any other hyped up project anyone has come up with recently because the value here is not the product - it's the hopeful message that a major service like Google with all it's abilities and recent personality preference to clone and compete with other clones, still attempted this risky thing that is less of a clone and more of a concept that redefines the usage of how people consume the web with almost little benefit to them other than simply releasing that concept "in order to compete".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:09 PM by Paul Keith »