topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is There any Fastest Way to Add or Remove Alias or Alias Item  (Read 3694 times)

raishade

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had extensive used alias on farr, I often add new alias or alias items on it, and also delete some item on alias to prevent long list alias item. I only knew to right click on search item and to new alias or add to alias list. But even that still felt like long step to go. i wondering if i could add new alias item in search edit box, actualy alias item I mostly used is url site. If I want to add "http://donationcoder.com" I 'll popup farr and pasted it then right click search result to add to alias list. how about if i cound type in search edit like "add aliasname http://donationcoder.com" to add directly to alias or maybe "add http://donationcoder.com aliasnametosearch" tobe more flexible.

I realized that it's about matter to insert or delete text in alias file and it required to reload alias on farr, or i miss something? may be someplugins might to do it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is There any Fastest Way to Add or Remove Alias or Alias Item
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:19 PM »
To add or edit an alias you dont have to edit the file -- you just go to options and choose the Aliases/Group tab, and make sure you have selected at top "myaliases.alias".

From there you can see a list of all your custom aliases, right click for menu to add/edit/delete.

Does that make it easier?

But your "add aliasname" is not a bad idea either, i might add that.

raishade

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:40 AM »
Yes, I realized that already :). That's the way I used to add new alias, to add new url item I copied url than popup farr, pasted, and there's search result to surf the url, then I right click to add to alias and makes label and etc.

But I had alot of url added and removed item at the alias, than make me think to find more effective way to do that.
I had try using "agroups" command and searching through it, Earlier I'am just put it as note then I tried ham note, but then I can't search through note contents and can't run the url directly.

Then it should be a plugin so i can :
1. search my alias in search edit box and
2. insert it directlya from search edit
3. remove alias items list from search result (right click will be fine)

I think it could be done with plugin, I already try to make it through dos batch file to find and replace certains item in alias file. Or maybe it could be done with fscipt plugin? or may be it's included in native farr.

Am I thinking the wrong way? Just hope can have some clue to doit right, is it via fscript or anything else suggestion.

Sorry for my bad english or sound impolite.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Hi raishade, you don't sound impolite at all.

It's an interesting idea -- maybe i can add a search function to search in aliases.

But actually your idea of using a separate program to search alias files is a good one -- one could use existing text file editors/searchers to search and edit farr alias files pretty easily, and configure one to be launched using the farr toolbar.  That's a very nice idea since sometimes it's hard to remember what alias file an alias is in.

raishade

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Hopefully you could add it in next update  :D, meanwhile I'll find away to used batch/ script.

Thank you Mouser, It's a great piece of work  :Thmbsup:, I had used farr all the time. I had read help file more than 3 time, searching in forum, and watch all farr video tutorial just want to used farr more effectively. I'm not a coder but I'll like to learn it more ;).