ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Filenames with a leading dot?

(1/3) > >>

highend01:
Hi Mouser.

I have a file named D:\Users\Highend\Tools\TrueCrypt\.MountExternalDrive.exe
It is a compiled .bat file that mounts my external TC drive.

If I type in .mou in FARR it shows this file as the first one but when I hit enter the drive isn't mounted but I get a windows explorer window that contains the D:\Users\Highend\Tools\TrueCrypt directory.

If I rename the file from .MountExternalDrive.exe to MountExternalDrive.exe (without the dot) and enter mou and hit enter again everything works as expected (no windows explorer window and the TC volume is mounted).

Why does FARR have a problem with filenames with a leading dot and more important: can you fix it?

Regards,
highend

mouser:
I will fix.
But any reason not to rename the file?

highend01:
Thanks.

I'm just used to it. My personal method to "pin" important files at the top of the file list in XYplorer. Doesn't require holding the shift button for other characters like "!" ;)

Regards,
highend

daddydave:
Interesting..
Unix configuration files use a lot of files that start with a dot, and I've seen that in the Windows ports, too. Can't think of one at the moment.

Ath:
It's a lot of Java based, multi-platform, software that uses these 'prefixes' for configuration files, that are hidden by default on *nix OS's. Maven is the one that comes to mind immediately; have a look in your C:\Users\<username> directory. Being a developer, you'll likely find a few .-prefixed files there. And others create even .-prefixed directories holding even more user-specific stuff, I found .netbeans, .eclipse, .virtualbox, .google, to name just a few.

General consensus is to not use them for common user-files. And Windows Explorer really hates them anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version