topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lifehacker: Best and Worst Places to Buy Anything When You Need a Good Return  (Read 6942 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Lifehacker seems less interesting to me lately, but occasionally they still publish a useful article.  This seems like one of those times.

While getting the best price is often your first concern, a great deal is suddenly not so great when you hate what you bought and can't return it. If you're looking for a good return policy, here are some the best places to shop (and places you should avoid).

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Costco's return policy is quite good, too (Costco is not mentioned in the article).  While their selection of electronic items may be slim, if they have what you want they're a great place to buy if you're uncertain if something will actually fit your needs.  The policy (last time I checked - I believe it's still valid) on electronics is 90 days - no questions asked.

On non-electronics, they have an essentially unlimited return policy.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very useful article. I knew about many of these, but was surprised to see their mention of Best Buy's no restocking fee returns. I'm pretty sure that wasn't always the case or, if it is, then it may not cover things that have been opened, which basically makes it useless. Or maybe it has some exclusions (or used to). I say this because back a few years I wanted to buy a digital camera from a place with a good return policy as I wasn't quite sure of my choice yet and wanted an "out" if necessary. I ended up having to buy from Sears as Costco didn't have the camera I wanted and Sears had a no restocking fee return policy whereas Best Buy did not, at least on digital cameras. Often times they do vary their return policy depending on what you purchase.

Costco is also definitely worth a mention, very good return policies and service. I've dealt with them before.

- Oshyan

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
... The policy (last time I checked - I believe it's still valid) on electronics is 90 days - no questions asked.

On non-electronics, they have an essentially unlimited return policy.
*i am an ex-costco wholesale employee of 8 years*

Actually, the 90 policy you mention applies ONLY to:
televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.
(that was a direct copy/paste from their corporate site, as they have adjusted the items.)

Everything else is allowable to return beyond 90 days, with or without a receipt.
I've seen dead plants returned after winter.
I've seen christmas trees returned in january.
I've seen a half empty bottle of wine returned because it tasted funny.
I've seen someone return several jumping balloons all scraped up, full of dirt and debris. I don't remember what his claim was, but he received a full refund, in cash. Later we found a few childrens socks and shoes between some of the balloons.

Costco offers what they call "double guarantee".
They guarantee your satisfaction on your membership. They guarantee your satisfaction on your purchase.
I've even had a member request a refund of their membership fee, a few days before the end of their year ($100) because they were unsatisfied. They would then return a few days/weeks later to buy a whole new year, thus saving them $100 per year. People are sneaky!!!

Yes, they even refund your purchase without the receipt.
They can look in their system and view your very first purchase.

Keep your receipt though.
If you buy an item for $99.99, and then lose the receipt, and then return the item after the price drops. Guess what? You're not getting $99.99 back. You're getting the sale price amount.
If you buy an item for $99.99, and don't lose the receipt, and then return the item after the price drops. Guess what? You're getting $99.99 back. CONGRATULATIONS!

*INSIDE TIP*
If you shop and notice the price of an item is $x.97
It's deleted/discontinued.
I used to go shopping for the ninety-sevens on my days off. I'd make a list of them, check inventory for quantity, and depending on what they were (food, seasonal, electronics), I'd then notify a friend of mine. He would go in, buy as many as he wanted, and then resale them on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

:D
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great article because some things you want to really really try, and then hope they're as good as advertised. If so, fine. If not, I don't want to pay to give it back. Now if only more stores would bring like Layaway like Walmart recently did.