ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Cross-platform mobile apps development: MonoTouch/MonoDroid, Marmalade, etc.

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
Eóin: interesting - I only thought Android devices allowed Java Dalvik code, didn't know about NDK! JNI sucks monstrously, but it's better than not having the capability.

40hz:
You might want to take a look at a product called Illumination by Radical Breeze Software. It's a cross-platform code-generator type RAD tool that runs under Windows, OS X, or Linux and outputs native source code for: Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, Maemo, and Flex/Flash. HTML5 was just added and is a free upgrade.

I bought a copy ($50) a few days ago and (so far) it looks very promising.

It is primarily designed to handle user interface and basic program functions although it's pretty robust in that regard. The really nice thing about it is that it generates decent stand-alone royalty-free code which does not require a custom runtime or library in order for it to work. The produced code can also be edited, re-purposed, or incorporated into a more traditionally developed project - or where the project requirements exceed the scope of what Illumination was designed for. Very cool.

The visual design methodology will likely draw sneers from a lot of coders. But having coded both ways, I have to admit that putting something together or starting with this tool is a major timesaver.

The code it generates can also be studied. I found some of its approaches to doing things quite interesting since Illumination's coding approach and style is often very different from my own.

Illumination is the brainchild of Linux Action Show co-host Bryan Lunduke. Smart guy with some interesting things to say about open software, coding, and Linux. There's a good intro video up on YouTube (58 mins!) where Bryan demos and talks about Illumination, the design philosophy behind it, how it works, and then does some Q&A with the audience. Well worth a watch if you're at all interested in this product or what it does. I decided to buy a copy after watching the video because I got so curious about it.

WARNING: The recorded audio quality is pretty bad, as Bryan warns at the beginning of the vid. IMO it's really not that bad (ok...it is). But it's worth putting up with since the talk is quite interesting. Especially where Bryan gets into what the design goals were for Illumination - and how they were ("mostly" by his own admission) accomplished.

If the sound really drives you nuts, there's an older formal presentation that covers pretty much the same ground. Just be aware that the version in this video is version 1.0beta4. The current version is 4.0 so it's since gone a ways beyond the limitations of the version shown in this video.

---------------------
Disclaimer: 40hz's only relation to Radical Breeze is that he bought a copy of Illumination. And with his own money too!

Armando:
Thanks 40hz ! I'm going to have a look at that tonight.

Renegade:
Oh... One other consideration...

Game engines are mostly C/C++, so if you plan on doing any games, the C++ route with Marmalade is likely a good choice.

Armando:
Thanks Renegade. I'll keep that in mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version