ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... someone using CAD software

<< < (4/6) > >>

barney:
Currently, my desktop has icons for:

* CADemia
* Google Sketchup (v8)
* HeeksCAD
* A9CAD
* Archer
* RtWizard
* TdhCadwin
* DoubleCAD XT
* and a few others.

I also installed Intellicad 98 on the virtual XP element for Win7.

DoubleCad has possibilities, as does Intellicad, or even Inkscape.  The rest just won't cut it.  They're capable systems, I'm certain, but my Master (Mistress?) Builder has no desire to learn PERL, or Ruby, or ...

She just wants to draw things, have the system dimension 'em, then print 'em.

Several of the CAD products we examined had no drawing capability at all  >:( - 'twas all language based.  Some of the others had drawing/drafting capability, but the learning curve was steep beyond her measure of patience  :).  We haven't looked yet at Autodesk Homestyler, so that one's up in the air.

Funny, when I was playing around with Generic CAD a decade or so ago, I could draw what I wanted, dimension it, and be done with it.  Or,  could follow the text window and start writing my drawings.  But I had the option to do either - or both, mixed - and the learning curve was fairly shallow.  In the decade that has passed, all the offerings have gotten significantly more sophisticated, to the point that you need an engineering/architectural degree just to deal with the terminology.

Actually, she's looking at DoubleCAD, Intellicad (I'll give it to her if she likes it, as it won't run on Win7 and is abominably slow on the XP VHD.), and Inkscape. 

QCAD sounds pretty good - pre-built assemblies are excess baggage for what she wants, unless she builds 'em herself.  We'll have to look into that one, as well.

Edvard:
QCAD is very much like you describe; draw what you want, or describe it in the command window.
Simple and powerful at the same time.
I just thought it might be a little less than what was wanted, but sounds like it may be a nice fit.
And the price ain't too bad...

barney:
Well-l-l ...

Yeah, but that means I'll prolly have to compile it  :down:.  That is not a thing at which I excel  :'(.

On the other hand, maybe it won't work for Win  ;), so my failings in that arena may not be exposed  :P.

barney:
OK, MB likes QCAD ... pulled down the trial, she worked with it.  Not a super result, but she likes it better than anything else we've tried.  I'm still not certain how to get the dimensions to display, but that'll come in time, hopefully.

Anyway, she likes it, talking about buying the Pro version.  I'm a bit dubious, but it's not my call.  If she's comfortable with it, that's more important than most anything else.

Oh, yeah, she said to say, "Thanks!" to all of you.  She's kinda new to forae, and is a bit amazed at what can happen when helpful folk get together to solve a problem for someone they don't know, will prolly never meet.  From her, "Kisses all around."

Edvard:
talking about buying the Pro version
-barney (September 28, 2011, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Right, that's what I was talking about, sorry I wasn't more clear.
50 bucks isn't bad for a fairly capable 2-D CAD program.

I'm still not certain how to get the dimensions to display
-barney (September 28, 2011, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
You have to do those manually  :-\
http://www.qcad.org/qcad/manual_reference/chapter24.html
In the Document Preferences is where you set the sizes of the dimensions and arrows, etc.

It's got it's quirks, but the reference manual is fairly concise, so that and the tutorials should get you where you need to go.
http://www.qcad.org/qcad_doc.html

Also, I'm currently using it to draw plans for re-building my porch, so I'll be available to give whatever advice I'm able.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version