ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PING archive not able to delete 10 GB

(1/2) > >>

hulkbuster:

Hello folks,
            yesterday i tried to make an image of C: by using PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) 3.0: When it asked for the archive backup name, i gave it as Another_XP_Image_after_the_trash.
                   The mistake i made was naming the folder archive ending with a dot .:
    So i tried making another image by the same name, PING gave the option of overwriting which i choose it.  After the process was complete the folder had consumed 10 GB filled with archive.

I can't get it to delete or rename it, deleteing would show an error like " cannot read from the source file or disk": Enter the folder would show this error:

Is their any one who can suggest how to remove or delete this folder. Any solution for this would: i would remain greatful.

40hz:
Grab a copy of a Linux "live" CD.

Boot from the CD and you should be able to delete the file from within Linux using its file manager.  

I'd suggest using the PCman FM file utility on the PartedMagic Linux utility distro.
 :)

Ath:
Sometimes this can also be achieved by opening a CMD prompt, and selecting the file/directory using the <tab> AutoComplete feature of the shell (using the 'del' or 'rd'/'rmdir' commands).

Using a Linux "live" CD has the advantage that there is surely no file-in-use issue. It requires such iso image to be downloaded and baked onto a CD though :huh:

Curt:
did you try the easy solution; to use Unlocker or IOBit Unlocker ?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
http://www.iobit.com/iobit-unlocker.html  :up:

40hz:
^In this particular case, I think it's more a problem of an illegal character (the ending period) somehow being written in the filename rather than the file itself being locked. You'll see this happen sometimes if you use an external drive to backup Macintosh files. Apple allows several characters that aren't allowed in Windows. Some of which result in certain files being unreachable and therefor non-deletable by Windows.
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version