ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Idea: Program to update a MySQL database with data obtained from other programs

<< < (2/3) > >>

JoTo:
Hi Renegade,

what Tatjana wants is that:

- She uses a MediaManager program that stores the data in a SQL database
- But she wants more information (like a CRC checksum and whatnot) that the media manager won't provide itself additionally in the database
- The MediaManager can handle such additional fields as "custom fields" (read and display them) if they are present in the database
- She wants to use some other external programs to collect the data (e.g. look for the bit depth in the image file, crc checksum, blah blah) and store them in the media manager database to the related record so that this information is available on the next run in the media manager

So she needs a script/app that reads from the SQL database the path to the image file. Then runs several external programs (or offer the functionality itself) to look into the image file for the bit depth and whatnot and calculate a crc checksum. Then the script/app should add these additional information to the actual record in the SQL database as additional custom fields to make these information available in the media manager.

This process should work mostly automatically and/or in the background whenever the media manager stores a new record. The media manager, as Tatjana said to me, has a plugin SDK to hook that script/app into the media manager. If that is not possible, maybe a "run once a day" or "run after media manager session ends" independent script/app will do the trick too? Tatjana, will this be acceptable too?

She is NOT looking for a full blown SQL Manager app where you can create and execute SQL queries and/or manage a database manually.

This is how i understood Tatjanas request. Oh, and may i remind, that we are in the coding snack section? So the people here asking for help are mostly not capable to program the request themselves, or they wouldn't have asked here. She is searching for one, that maybe is willing to help her program that script/app.

I'm not a SQL guru, so i think its a bit over my head. Otherwise i'd be glad to try that challenge.

Greetings
JoTo

PS:
Tatjana, just name the "enemy" :) There is nothing wrong in naming even commercial products here, as long as you don't advertise when you are related to the application. And even this can be done in the "Announcing my software" section of the forum.

Stoic Joker:
While I don't have time to tackle this I just thought I'd mention that is sounds like a job for a stored procedure. If the procedure is added to the MySQL db to fire for any insert to table X, then it should be ably to fire an external script that will gather and add the rest of the info needed/wanted.

*Shrug* Just a Thought. :)

Tat1990:
Hi Renegade,

what Tatjana wants is that:

- She uses a MediaManager program that stores the data in a SQL database
- But she wants more information (like a CRC checksum and whatnot) that the media manager won't provide itself additionally in the database
- The MediaManager can handle such additional fields as "custom fields" (read and display them) if they are present in the database
- She wants to use some other external programs to collect the data (e.g. look for the bit depth in the image file, crc checksum, blah blah) and store them in the media manager database to the related record so that this information is available on the next run in the media manager

So she needs a script/app that reads from the SQL database the path to the image file. Then runs several external programs (or offer the functionality itself) to look into the image file for the bit depth and whatnot and calculate a crc checksum. Then the script/app should add these additional information to the actual record in the SQL database as additional custom fields to make these information available in the media manager.

This process should work mostly automatically and/or in the background whenever the media manager stores a new record. The media manager, as Tatjana said to me, has a plugin SDK to hook that script/app into the media manager. If that is not possible, maybe a "run once a day" or "run after media manager session ends" independent script/app will do the trick too? Tatjana, will this be acceptable too?

She is NOT looking for a full blown SQL Manager app where you can create and execute SQL queries and/or manage a database manually.

This is how i understood Tatjanas request. Oh, and may i remind, that we are in the coding snack section? So the people here asking for help are mostly not capable to program the request themselves, or they wouldn't have asked here. She is searching for one, that maybe is willing to help her program that script/app.

I'm not a SQL guru, so i think its a bit over my head. Otherwise i'd be glad to try that challenge.

Greetings
JoTo

PS:
Tatjana, just name the "enemy" :) There is nothing wrong in naming even commercial products here, as long as you don't advertise when you are related to the application. And even this can be done in the "Announcing my software" section of the forum.
-JoTo (September 26, 2011, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you have a mind reader? :)
Thanks for explaining my thoughts so clearly.

The software supports Plugins for reading/writing file formats only. A custom jpeg codec would probably do the trick for jpg files, but some images are in other formats, tga, tiff, psd, etc...

The "Enemy" is ThumbsPlus 7 SP2 from Cerious Software

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tat

JoTo:
@StoicJoker:
Nice idea...that would render the plugin stuff obsolete and can be solved with SQL only knowledge, keeping the automatic execution in realtime.

Greetings
JoTo

JoTo:
@Tat1990:
No, but i had some more background from our chat.

*Sigh* I wish i would be better in SQL and have some time. :(

Greetings
JoTo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version