topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for October 31, 2011 - "Frightening Feathers"  (Read 24897 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for October 31, 2011 - "Frightening Feathers"
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Newsletter for October 31, 2011
"Frightening Feathers"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hello dear readers, welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder newsletter -- filled with tales of terror and suspense.  Or rather, filled with links to some of the more interesting posts on the DC forum in the last month.

I'll keep things short this time, and just remind you that we are approaching the new year, which means our big NANY event.  Otherwise known as "New Apps for the New Year", NANY is where we encourage all coders who visit DonationCoder to release some new piece of freeware and announce it on our site on January 1st.  We encourage coders of all backgrounds and skill levels to participate.  There are no winners or losers, and everyone who participates gets a mug to commemorate the event.  If you're a coder -- just stop by the NANY section of our forum and say you want to participate.  If you know a coder who might be interested, let them know!  If you have an idea for a new small freeware tool, post your idea in the NANY 2012 section.  And no matter who you are, I hope you'll mark your calendars to drop by our site on New Year's Day and join us for a celebration of new software, and help us spread the word.

2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions.  In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.

3. DonationCoder Software Updates and Discussions

This month saw a few updates to the larger DC software programs hosted on our site.  I've also included a few notable discussion threads for each of them.

4. Skwire Empire Updates

DC member Skwire has been unstoppable on the Coding Snacks area of our forum -- writing new freeware utilities on request, and constantly releasing updates for his existing tools.  Lots of new updates this month:

6. Mini-Reviews, Coding Snacks, and other DC Member Software Threads

The Coding Snacks section is one of the things that people love the most about DonationCoder -- it's where anyone can post a request for a custom piece of software -- and often find the requests granted over night as one of the coders who inhabit our forum writes it as a free utility (lately DC member Skwire has been running circles around the rest of us, coding requests faster than lighting!)

7. Fun, Humor, and Amusements on the Web

You've made it half way through the newsletter, so let's have a break.  Go make yourself an egg cream soda, and check out these fun websites and videos!

8. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the DC forum take the form of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. These posts wind up in the General Software Discussion section and make it one of the most active sections of the DC forum. This is a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware-related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we split the recent content into two sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

9. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

10. Developer's Corner

The title of this section shouldn't scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a section for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial ideas, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

11. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out...

12. Announce your Projects

We encourage our members to tell us about their new software projects -- both free and commercial.  Here are a few threads we thought you might be interested in checking out.

13. Computer Luminary Obituaries

First time we've had this section in one of our newsletters...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:51 PM by mouser »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for October 31, 2011 - "Frightening Feathers"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Nice newsletter. Thanks for the time and effort of putting it together. :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51 PM »
For anyone wondering where the cody image is from, see this thread.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 12:11 AM »
Nice work, mouser.  Thanks for the shout outs.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Yay! One of my posts got featured.

And as ever, some interesting things on DC that I'd over looked.

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Yay! One of my posts got featured.

This would be a good time to remind people that if you have a post you would like to be featured in a newsletter, that did not get blogged, just send me an email to suggest it ([email protected]).

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 05:17 AM »
And again i lost half of a day because i neither could resist, nor i can't stop reading this newsletter.

I'm still hoping for an empty or totally uninteresting newsletter in the future so i can satisfy my boss when doing my work instead of reading. :)

Thank you again for this hours of pure pleasure.

Greetings
JoTo

kaybay2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Love it!

Such a wide range of info. With its help maybe I will be able to catch up with technology one day.

Peter

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Regarding NANY 2012, here is a report on how things are progressing in this year's event.